Colleen Mahoney heads the firm’s Securities Enforcement practice, and regularly represents financial services firms, corporations, their boards, board committees, officers, directors and employees in Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and other law enforcement investigations.
Ms. Mahoney assists management and boards of directors performing internal investigations, often advising clients on preventive and remedial measures before and after securities-related issues arise.
Ms. Mahoney has been the lead attorney representing many of the company boards and individuals embroiled in signature SEC investigations. Her clients have included many well-known U.S. and foreign companies.
As is frequently the case with SEC enforcement matters, the biggest victories are the ones that never become public – the government investigations and inquiries that are put to rest before charges are filed or an indictment is issued, or even before a public disclosure of the government interest. Ms. Mahoney has succeeded in bringing a number of matters to a close in those circumstances.
Prior to joining Skadden, Ms. Mahoney spent 15 years in increasingly senior positions with the SEC, serving as acting general counsel of the agency and as deputy director of the division of enforcement.
During her tenure at the SEC, Ms. Mahoney helped manage a civil law enforcement program that addressed a wide range of issues, including financial fraud and disclosure, asset management issues, derivatives and insider trading.
- J.D., American University, 1981 (summa cum laude)
- B.A., American University School of Government and Public Administration, 1978 (magna cum laude)
Admissions : District of Columbia
- Acting General Counsel, Securities and Exchange Commission (1998)
- Deputy Director, Division of Enforcement, Securities and Exchange Commission (1994-1998)
- Executive Assistant to the Chairman, Securities and Exchange Commission (1993-1994)
Rate : $$$