Constance Brewster works closely with human resources, executive officers and plan fiduciaries of public and private entities on all aspects of employee benefits and compensation matters. As part of a full range of services, Constance advises clients on :
- Compensation and benefits issues associated with corporate transactions, including negotiating transaction documents, drafting employee communications, performing 280G analyses, conducting due diligence, and assisting with benefits and compensation integration issues.
- All aspects of defined contribution and defined benefit plans, including plan design, administration, compliance, governmental submissions, plan amendments, participant communications, plan merger and termination, and withdrawal liability and mitigation for multiemployer plans.
- Governance and fiduciary issues, including establishing benefit plan committees and investment subcommittees, preparing board and committee resolutions, negotiating service provider and vendor agreements, and reviewing and preparing investment policy statements and fiduciary training materials.
In her pro bono work, Constance assists low-income cancer patients, veterans and others with the preparation of wills, financial powers of attorney and nominations of guardians for minor children.
Representative Matters :
- Advised several banks with respect to golden parachute issues, a 280G shareholder vote, due diligence, and pre- and post-merger integration of compensation and benefits.
- Prepared numerous IRS correction program submissions for 401(k) and defined benefit plans.
- Represented an employer through a Department of Labor investigation of its 401(k) plan.
- Presented fiduciary training for numerous plan fiduciaries and benefit committees.
Professional and Community Involvement : Professional Development Subcommittee, Troutman Sanders Women’s Forum
Professional Experience :
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Katharine Samson of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Mississippi, 2011-2013
- Legal Extern to the U.S. Trustee Program, Region 5, Jackson, Mississippi, 2010
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Neil P. Olack of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Mississippi, 2009
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M. (Taxation), with distinction, 2011, Certificate in Employee Benefits
- Mississippi College School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2010, Mississippi College Law Review
- Jacksonville State University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2005
BAR ADMISSIONS : Alabama, Georgia.
Rate : $$$