Cortney O’Toole Morgan thrives in the fast-paced, ever-changing world of global international trade and supply chain management. Cortney focuses her practice on the production, sourcing and movement of goods, services and technology across international borders.
She advises foreign and domestic companies on all aspects of international trade, including regulatory compliance, supply chain efficiencies, investigations and enforcement. She stays current on world events as relationships shift among countries, in order to take a proactive approach to minimizing disruption in clients’ supply chains.
Much of Cortney’s practice involves international trade controls, including export controls and economic sanctions. Her transactional work often involves advising clients on export and import licensing, tariff classification, valuation, country of origin marking, preference programs, IPR enforcement, customs audits, logistics security, penalties and voluntary disclosures.
Based in Washington, D.C., Cortney counsels clients on compliance with the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and economic sanctions programs administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), as well as anti-boycott programs administered by the U.S. Departments of Commerce and Treasury.
- Provide routine counseling and advice to multinational fast-growing consumer goods company on U.S. sanctions and export controls compliance.
- Counseled global services provider on compliance with U.S. sanctions programs, including development of multijurisdictional guidance and compliance procedures for conducting global trade operations.
- Represented numerous clients in mergers and acquisitions activities, including conducting and responding to import and export activity related due diligence, and preparing representations and warranties related to trade controls compliance.
- Conducted an ITAR investigation of a multinational freight forwarder handling aerospace products and represented client before U.S. Department of State Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC).
- Assisted non-U.S. energy services company in evaluation of a proposed joint project with another non-U.S. company, for seismic exploration in the Arctic on behalf of a Russian oil company, in connection with the U.S./Ukraine-related sanctions.
- Conducted global reviews of companies’ import and export compliance programs with follow-up training.
- Advised large pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies on transfer pricing and customs valuations-related issues and establishment of value reconciliation programs.
- J.D., The Catholic University of America
- B.A., American University
- Ritsumeikan University Kyoto Japan
- District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
Professional Associations and Memberships :
- American Bar Association, Section of International Law
- Customs and International Trade Bar Association, 2001-present
- National Association of Manufacturers
- Washington International Trade Association, 2002-present
- District of Columbia Bar, International Law Community, Co-Chair, 2017-present
Rate : $$$$