Courtney Baird serves as outside counsel to businesses handling their compliance and risk management issues and prosecution and defense of litigation. She has extensive experience in complex litigation, including class actions, consumer claims, products liability, contract, tort, franchise claims and False Claims Act.
Her strategic approach, substantive experience and ability to cost-effectively optimize her clients’ business and legal objectives has led to her representation of companies across the United States and internationally.
Ms. Baird is licensed to practice in California and Nevada. She represents clients in all forums, including federal and state courts and arbitration. She has been involved in hundreds of arbitrations and advises businesses on all arbitration-related issues.
She serves as a pro bono Arbitrator for the Arbitration Committee of the San Diego County Bar Association and was a speaker at the Annual National Academy of Arbitrators Conference.
- Represented company in consumer class action involving claims under the Unfair Competition Law and Consumer Legal Remedies Act. Ms. Baird compelled the matter to arbitration and as a threshold matter in arbitration obtained an award defeating the class action.
- Defended marketer and seller of supplement product with respect to a consumer class action alleging mislabeling of nutritional information. Matter was resolved on terms the client found favorable.
- Represented national theme park in federal court consumer class action alleging violation of the Song-Beverly Credit Card Act, which prohibits the collection of personal information from credit card customers. Obtained a dismissal with prejudice at the preliminary stage of the litigation.
- Represented college in state court wage and hour class action. Successfully defeated the class action claims by obtaining a determination that the parties’ arbitration agreement did not authorize class arbitration and the individual claims were compelled to arbitration.
- Represented cosmetology school in federal court wage and hour class action in which students claimed they were employees. Defeated the class through a motion for summary judgment and obtained dismissal with prejudice in school’s favor.
- Represented corporation and its subsidiary in complex consumer claim involving multiple claimants in which plaintiffs sought millions of dollars in alleged damages based on claims sounding in contract and tort. Obtained an award in her clients’ favor, including an award of attorneys’ fees and cost, in which the trier of fact specifically determined that Ms. Baird’s representation of her clients in the matter was critical to the result achieved.
- Represented national bank in federal court action involving violations of the Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and negligence. Through enforcement of an indemnity agreement and dispositive motion, achieved a result that the bank found favorable.
- Represented company in consumer action alleging claims under the Consumer Legal Remedies Act and Unfair Competition Law with respect to alleged false advertising. Through a dispositive motion, obtained a judgement in her client’s favor.
- Represented global convenience store franchisor in obtaining temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction against franchisee of numerous franchised stores in federal court action involving claims for breach of contract, fraud, trademark infringement, and violation of RICO.
- Represented scientific clinical-development services corporation in action arising out of clinical drug trials involving causes of action for breach of contract, common counts, unjust enrichment, and conversion. Negotiated a dismissal and settlement that client found favorable.
- Represented a top 5 franchisor in federal court franchise termination against former franchisees involving claims of violation of RICO, fraud, breach of contract, unfair competition, and trademark infringement. Obtained outcome client found favorable.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
- American Bar Association
- California State Bar
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Office Chair for Duane Morris Summer Associate Program
Rate : $$$$