Courtney L. Litchfield focuses her practice in the area of privacy and data security. Courtney advises clients on breach response and preparedness; compliance with state, federal and international data protection laws; and on identifying, evaluating and managing first- and third-party data privacy and security risks.
She has handled data breaches for all types of entities, including health systems, hospitals, title companies, accounting and consulting firms, retirement communities and educational institutions.
Courtney also has experience representing companies and individuals in commercial and general liability matters, as well as insurers and insureds in connection with coverage issues and resolution of coverage disputes.
- Responded to breaches and mitigated data exposures involving phishing, hacking, malware, pervasive network intrusions, employee negligence, inadvertent disclosure, theft, vendor misconduct and other potential or actual security incidents.
- Organizes and coordinates all aspects of breach response, including assisting clients with mitigation efforts, selecting vendors, managing and directing forensic investigations, and preparing the requisite notification communications such as individual notification, regulatory notification and media statements.
- Regularly assists clients in preparing for, managing and responding to regulatory inquiries or investigations conducted by state attorneys general and HHS OCR, including reviewing internal policies and procedures, updating staff training materials and drafting formal responses to regulatory inquiries.
- Represented a wide variety of clients in commercial and general litigation matters, including suits alleging breach of contract, malpractice, personal injury, wrongful death and more. Advised insurers and insureds in connection with coverage issues and resolution of coverage disputes.
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyer’s Section
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America
- Bartlett Lion’s Club
- Have Dreams
- J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, 2016
- B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013
Admissions : Illinois
Rate : $$$$