D. Charles “Charlie” Suessmith works with major utilities and independent power producers, primarily focusing on complex business transactions using renewable technologies, with an emphasis on project development, finance, mergers and acquisitions, corporate structuring, and related commercial agreements.
Charlie represents electric utilities, independent power producers, developers, contractors and other clients doing business in the renewable energy sector. He has primarily focused on drafting and negotiating major documentation relating to the development, construction, acquisition, financing and sale of energy and infrastructure assets employing renewable technologies. Beyond renewables, Charlie has experience counseling clients in general corporate matters.
Representative Matters :
- Represented a leading U.S. wholesale energy provider in the corporate reorganization sale of a portfolio of 26 operating solar facilities representing approximately 1.7GW of capacity, providing extensive due diligence and transactional support.
- Counseled a public utility company in the preparation of renewable energy RFP documentation and evaluation and negotiation of documentation related thereto (including PPAs, build transfer agreements, EPC agreements and other documentation).
- Advised a publicly traded EPC contractor in connection with the negotiation and drafting of an EPC contract, route development agreement and contractor interface agreement as part of a joint venture in response to an independent system operator’s RFP for the development of electric transmission lines.
- Represented a public utility holding company and its independent power producer subsidiary in the acquisition of a 100MW wind-generating facility in Oklahoma, with an eventual tax equity ownership structure.
Professional Experience : Intern to the Honorable Chief Justice P. Harris Hines of the Georgia Supreme Court, 2015
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2017,
- University of Georgia, B.A., magna cum laude, 2014, International Affairs and Political Science; Minor in Environmental Law
COURT ADMISSIONS : Georgia Superior Courts
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
Rate : $$$