Dan Shallman, a former federal public corruption prosecutor, is an accomplished trial lawyer, investigator, and strategist. Mr. Shallman specializes in representing companies, independent board committees, and senior corporate executives in sensitive government and internal investigations.
He is known for his ability to successfully resolve complex civil and criminal matters, including cross-border investigations involving alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other anti-bribery laws, the False Claims Act (FCA), and the Sherman Antitrust Act.
Mr. Shallman is a leader of Covington’s west coast White Collar Defense and Investigations Practice and serves as vice chair of Covington’s renowned Global Anti-Corruption Practice Group.
Mr. Shallman was a founding partner of Covington’s Los Angeles Office in 2015 and serves as the Hiring Partner. He has been named one of the most influential white collar defense attorneys in Los Angeles by the LA Business Journal.
A leader in the Los Angeles legal community, Mr. Shallman is a past chair of the ABA White Collar Crime Committee for Southern California and the 1,200-lawyer Legal Division of the Jewish Federation of Los Angeles. He currently serves on the Board of Directors of Bet Tzedek Legal Services.
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1995
- University of Illinois, B.S., 1992
Government Service : U.S. Department of Justice – U.S. Attorney’s Office
Bar Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Representative Matters :
- Counsel for one of Asia’s leading energy companies in a DOJ cartel investigation of alleged bid rigging and violations of the False Claims Act.
- Counsel for a military parts manufacturer in a DOJ False Claims Act investigation of alleged failure to comply with MIL-SPEC requirements for testing and qualification.
- Counsel for former senior executives of a major financial institution in criminal and civil investigations by the DOJ, SEC, and OCC regarding allegedly improper consumer sales practices.
- Counsel for former senior executives of a major financial institution in a DOJ investigation of alleged fraud in connection with the sale of mortgage-backed securities.
Memberships and Affiliations :
- Board of Directors, Bet Tzedek Legal Services
- American Bar Association White Collar Crime Committee for Southern California, Co-Chair (2014-2016)
- Legal Division of the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles, Chair (2011-2013) and Vice-Chair (2009-2010)
- EMET, the Young Lawyers Division, Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles, Co-Chair and Founder (2007-2008)
Previous Experience : Mr. Shallman served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Los Angeles from 1999 to 2007.
Rate : $$$