Dana J. Dunwoody is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group and the former Administrative Partner in the firm’s San Diego (Del Mar) office. Respecting his hospitality practice, Mr. Dunwoody has developed significant expertise in disputes concerning hotels, resorts, and golf courses, and he has represented international management companies, hotel owners and funding sources.
Mr. Dunwoody is a member of the International Society of Hospitality Consultants (ISHC). Mr. Dunwoody is a Team Leader of the firm’s Hospitality Practice Group and has led the firm’s Class Action Retail Team.
Since 1985, Mr. Dunwoody’s practice has focused on seven areas of complex litigation, arbitration and trial work: (1) disputes involving the hospitality industry; (2) disputes involving the financial services industry; (3) disputes involving the retail industry; (4) a wide variety of class action defense including privacy, unfair business practices, false advertising, securities, and independent contractor misclassification; (5) contract litigation primarily in the context of business or real estate disputes; (6) real property litigation, including CEQA and land use in addition to traditional disputes concerning development agreements, partition, and purchase and sale issues; and (7) intra-corporate and partnership disputes in a wide variety of businesses including energy producers, real property developers, financial service providers, and hoteliers.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Mr. Dunwoody worked for 15 years in a boutique trial firm he founded in San Diego known as Mazzarella, Dunwoody & Caldarelli LLP. Prior to that, Mr. Dunwoody was associated with the San Diego office of Allen, Matkins, Leck, Gamble & Mallory, San Diego’s Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps, and Los Angeles’s Cox, Castle & Nicholson.
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1985, Associate Editor for the Industrial Relations Law Journal
- B.A., University of California, San Diego, 1981
- Advisory Board, Hotel & Lodging Legal Summit
- Former Chair, Executive Committee of the then 12,000 member Litigation Section of the California State Bar.
- Editor-In-Chief, Litigation Section’s newsletter, 1990-1994.
- Board member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL) of San Diego.
- Senior Trial Master, American Inns of Court.
- Super Lawyer, Top Attorneys and Best Lawyers in America – peer review honors granted to only the very top of each legal specialty.
Rate : $$$$