Daniel W. Halston focuses on securities litigation, general commercial litigation and administrative law disputes. He has represented numerous public and private high technology, life sciences, and financial services companies and their officers and directors in a wide range of complex litigation matters, including securities fraud class actions, derivative litigation, mergers and acquisitions disputes, false claims act actions, breach of fiduciary duty claims, investment advisor claims, closely-held corporation disputes, proxy contests, and a wide variety of public law matters.
He also regularly represents clients in internal investigations and before the SEC, FINRA and state regulatory agencies. Mr. Halston serves as partner-in-charge of the Boston office.
Mr. Halston has represented numerous public and private companies and their officers and directors in complex securities, commercial, and corporate governance matters, including Airvana Corporation, BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc., Berkshire Hills Bancorp, Inc., Biogen Idec, Eclipsys Corporation, Medtronic Inc., Separacor Inc., Sonus Networks, Inc., Staples, Inc. and State Street Corporation.
From 1991 to 1994, Mr. Halston served as an assistant attorney general in both the Administrative Law and Trial Divisions of the Government Bureau of the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office. He represented the Commonwealth before all courts of the Commonwealth in various disputes with regulated industries and professionals.
Community Involvement :
- Town Meeting Member, Town of Belmont
- Former Officer, Vassar Club of Boston
Professional Activities :
- Director and Vice Chairman, Family Aid Boston
- Member, American Bar Association and Boston Bar Association
- Former Director, Massachusetts Appleseed Center for Law & Justice
- Obtained dismissal of securities fraud class action under Section 10 of the Exchange Act and Section 11 of the Securities Act against officers and directors of Acacia Communications, Inc. in District of Massachusetts in 2018
- Obtained dismissal of merger-related claims against Staples, Inc. based on exclusive forum by-law in Florida State Court in 2015
- Obtained dismissal of derivative litigation against State Street Bank and Trust and its directors arising out of foreign exchange pricing allegations in District of Massachusetts in 2014
- Successfully defended Berkshire Hills Bancorp, Inc. in Connecticut Trial Court in 2012 in a challenge to a merger, defeated an injunction after trial, and obtained dismissal of the case
- Successfully defended Airvana Corporation in Delaware Chancery Court in 2010 in defeating expedited discovery sought against an acquisition, and obtaining a dismissal of the case
- Successfully defended a major pharmaceutical company in Massachusetts Superior Court in 2008 in defeating an injunction against a substantial merger transaction, and obtaining a dismissal of the case
- Obtained dismissal of securities fraud class action under Section 10 of the Exchange Act against officers and directors of Triton Network Systems in Middle District of Florida in 2003
- Obtained dismissal of securities fraud class action under Section 10 of the Exchange Act against Eclipsys Corp. in Southern District of Florida in 2004.
- JD, Boston University School of Law, 1986
- AB, Vassar College, 1982
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts
CLERKSHIPS : US District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 1986 – 1987
GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE :
- State and Local Government
- Assistant Attorney General, Massachusetts Attorney General
Rate : $$$