Daniel P. Hoffer, chair of Venable’s West Coast Labor and Employment Group, is an accomplished litigator who focuses on all aspects of employment law, commercial, and class action defense.
Dan advises companies and individuals in a wide variety of industries, including media and entertainment, financial services, real estate, retail, and communications.
Dan has litigated hundreds of lawsuits in both state and federal courts, and before administrative agencies, such as the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE), the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Dan represents entertainment executives and talent in disputes involving breach of contract, fraud, defamation, trade secrets, conversion, interference, and related torts. His clients regard him as a trusted strategist and advisor, adept at counseling them in avoiding litigation.
In addition to his litigation work, Dan has overseen and coordinated nationwide reductions in workforce for a national media and entertainment company. He is proficient at drafting employment-related documents, including governance and compliance policies, confidentiality and nondisclosure agreements, executive employment agreements, and employee policy manuals.
- Special Agent, Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Obtained summary judgment in an invasion of privacy action that raised novel questions about vicarious liability and ratification
- Secured a seven-figure jury verdict in a breach of employment contract action on behalf of the former general counsel of a national mortgage lender
- Obtained a motion for summary judgment against an on-air personality’s discrimination and related claims on behalf of a national media and entertainment company
- Defeated class certification of unpaid wage claims brought by current and former employees in a wide variety of industries, including automobile services, retail and convenience, and food delivery
- Defeated a radio broadcaster’s application for preliminary injunction on behalf of a national media and entertainment company; subsequently defeated the broadcaster’s contract and fraud claims
- Drafted pre-employment background and hiring guidelines for an international financial services company.
- J.D. cum laude Pepperdine University School of Law 1994
- B.A. English Literature cum laude California State University, Northridge 1991
Bar Admissions : California
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Professional Memberships : Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
Rate : $$$$