Daniel W. Krane represents insurance, financial services and health care clients with corporate, transactional and regulatory matters. Dan’s insurance practice focuses on corporate, transactional and regulatory issues affecting insurance companies, insurance agencies, TPAs, Blue Cross/Blue Shield entities, reinsurers, captives, HMOs, PPOs, risk-assuming health provider networks, and various ventures that assume insurance risk.
He has extensive experience in business formations, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, redomestications, holding company transactions, reinsurance transactions, product design and distribution, regulatory examinations and investigations and rehabilitation and insolvency proceedings.
Dan has also represented insurance regulators in connection with various matters, including as outside counsel on complex insurance transactions. His financial services practice centers on the interplay between insurance, banking and securities activities.
Dan’s clients include insurance conglomerates, financial institutions, private equity funds, issuers of variable life insurance and annuity products and various financial intermediaries.
He has handled formation and operation of bank-owned insurance companies and agencies, creation of bank-agency and bank-insurer joint ventures, development of insurance company separate accounts, review of direct marketing programs, including Internet sales of financial and insurance products and establishment of compliance programs.
Dan has advised clients in health care transactions including formation and acquisition of health insurers, joint ventures, integrated delivery systems, risk-assuming provider networks, hospital-physician ventures and compliance.
He has particular experience in the application of insurance laws to health care risk arrangements, including counseling health care systems in strategic issues relating to assuming insurance risk and forming or partnering with insurers.
Dan served as an adjunct faculty member at the Rutgers School of Law for an advanced insurance course. He has been active on committees and task forces involved with drafting insurance, financial services and health care laws, and frequently writes and lectures on these topics.
- Pennsylvania Department of Insurance as special outside counsel in connection with a Form A change of control application seeking approval by Armour Group Holdings Limited to acquire four run-off insurers from OneBeacon Insurance Group Limited.
- Pennsylvania Mutual Casualty Insurance Company in connection with a $100m collateralized reinsurance transaction covering lead paint risks
- A large regional cooperative in connection with restructuring its self-funded and fully-insured ERISA insurance programs to ensure compliance with state insurance laws and related MEWA issues.
- A super regional health care system in connection with forming a Medicare Advantage insurer and a strategic joint venture to partner with other health systems.
- Various regional and super regional health care systems in connection with a wide array of risk-assuming ventures, including downstream assumption of risk arrangements and joint venture and fronting transactions with insurers.
- Enstar Group Limited in connection with the $180m acquisition of a worker compensation block from the Reciprocal of America in Liquidation.
- Enstar Group Limited and Stone Point Capital, a Connecticut-based private equity firm, in the $646 million acquisition of Torus Insurance Holdings Limited
- A large pet insurance managing general agency in connection with corporate, regulatory and transactions matters, including negotiating agreements with insurers and various types of subproducers and venture partners.
- Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 1985, Dickinson Journal of International Law
- Pennsylvania State University, B.A., 1981
Bar Admissions : New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$