Daniel V. Mccaughey focuses his practice on securities litigation and enforcement matters and other complex commercial disputes, including the representation of private equity firms and their portfolio companies, hedge fund advisors, public companies, and boards of directors.
Prior to joining the firm, Dan worked as a law clerk to Honorable Boyce F. Martin, Jr., of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and as a litigation associate in the Boston office of another national law firm.
- JD, magna cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2004; Boston University Law Review , note development editor
- BA (American History), University of Pennsylvania, 1999
- Massachusetts, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 2013
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2006
CLERKSHIPS : Honorable Boyce F. Martin, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES :
Prior to attending law school, Dan was a Teach for America corps member, working as a high school English teacher and a baseball and soccer coach in Louisiana.
- Represented and advised multiple private equity advisors in SEC investigations and exams regarding fees, expenses, and potential conflicts of interest.
- Trial counsel for investment bank in a widely publicized five-week jury trial about the bank’s role as financial adviser in connection with a $600 million all-stock sale to a Belgian firm, prior to the revelations of that firm’s accounting fraud and its eventual bankruptcy. The trial culminated in a complete verdict for our client.
- Successfully defeated a motion for a preliminary injunction on behalf of a real estate developer, in a dispute arising out of commercial tenant’s financing obligations.
- Trial counsel for official committee of unsecured creditors in a bankruptcy court hearing regarding debtors’ proposed plan of reorganization.
- Counsel for numerous private equity, hedge fund, venture capital, and public company clients in corporate governance and transactional disputes, including indemnity claims.
- Represented asset manager in pursuit and settlement of claims related to non-delivery of exotic commodity contracts.
Rate : $$$$