Daniel L. (D.L.) Morriss concentrates his practice on the representation and defense of regional and Fortune 500 financial institutions in commercial litigation claims involving tort, contract and statutory violations involving complex commercial foreclosure, guaranty and loan liability actions, as well as post-judgment collections.
He also has handled matters involving UCC litigation, contract disputes and bankruptcy and creditors’ rights. D.L. also regularly represents companies in general litigation matters, such as commercial landlords and tenants in property management disputes; and national loan servicers in workout matters.
His professional liability practice includes the defense of accountants and accounting firms, and also lawyers and law firms in their professional liability matters. He also handles director and officer liability claims.
In addition to his practice, D.L. serves as the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Partner of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP. He is also a member of the firm’s Associate Hiring Committee and Social Media Committee, and Hinshaw University’s Planning Committee.
In 2015, D.L. was selected as a participant for the Leadership Greater Chicago Class of 2016 Fellowship. In 2013, he was selected as a participant for the Chicago Committee’s inaugural “Rate My Pitch” program.
D.L. joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP as an associate in September 2008. Previously he was a summer associate with the firm during the summer of 2007 and a law clerk since September 2007.
In addition to clerking at Hinshaw, D.L. was a law clerk for one year with the Office of the General Counsel at DePaul University.
Among his law school achievements, D.L. was a member of the Black Law Student Association and a recipient of a CALI Award for Judicial & Scholarly Writing.
During his undergraduate studies, he was a teaching assistant in the areas of social and cross-cultural psychology. He was also the President of the William Osborne Society of Wheaton College from 2002 to 2003.
Professional Affiliations :
- The Economic Club of Chicago, Member, 2019 – Present
- The Joffrey Ballet, Board of Directors, 2016 – Present
- Leadership Greater Chicago, Fellow, 2016
- Chicago Chamber of Commerce, Emerging Leaders, 2014 – Present
- Chicago Inn of Court, Member, 2014 – Present
Representative Matters :
- Obtained summary judgment and affirmed on appeal in defense of contested foreclosure action in which borrower challenged the authority of the foreclosing mortgagee based on claims of fraud, invalid assignment of mortgage and improper foreclosure.
- Obtained summary judgment in defense of contested foreclosure action in which borrower alleged deficiencies in notice of default as condition precedent to foreclosure.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against lender by bankrupt debtor asserting lack of standing and asserting rights under pooling and servicing agreement.
- Assisted a pro se criminal defendant and argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit in a case involving allegations of mail fraud and arson.
- J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 2008
- B.A., Psychology, Wheaton College, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Rate : $$$