Daniel R. Peterson concentrates his practice on a wide variety of intellectual property issues, including patent litigation, patent preparation and prosecution, licensing and acquisition of intellectual property rights, opinion work, and client counseling.
Daniel has represented clients in diverse areas, including: imaging and image processing; data security and data privacy; computer systems; computer software; power systems; telecommunications; downhole tools; seismic technology; petrochemicals and polymers; and biomedical devices.
He has written and spoken on industry topics for leading publications and at various institutions, including the University of Houston Law Center and the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School – San Francisco campus, and has authored “Policing Future Non-Therapeutic Applications of Genetic Enhancement Through International Agreement,” 30 Hous. J. Int’l L. 743 (2008). During law school, he served as a senior articles editor for the Houston Journal of International Law (Board 31).
Daniel received a B.S. in Biomedical Engineering and a B.S. in Computer Science from Washington University in Saint Louis.
- Successfully concluded multiple patent enforcement actions to enforce patent rights of early inventor of content addressable video technology. Acquired licenses with 30+ licensees and won victory at trial in Eastern District of Texas in December 2012 against the only defendant that refused a license.
- Successful enforcement of teleconferencing patent for solo entrepreneur in District of Nevada, settling with multiple defendants before Markman proceedings.
- Prosecuted false patent marking action against a chemical test kit company on behalf of an oil field services company.
- Defended a leading global technology company in a patent infringement suit in Eastern District of Texas, achieving dismissal on summary judgment, affirmed on appeal to the Federal Circuit.
- Defended a global mobile telecommunications company in multiple patent infringement suits in Eastern District of Texas, achieving favorable dismissals.
- Defended an oil field services company in a patent infringement action, leading to successful resolution for client.
- Served as temporary “virtual” in-house IP counsel for licensing and NDAs for a leading petrochemical company.
- Performed an industry-wide benchmarking and patent landscaping study for a Fortune 500 insurance, investment, and banking company.
- Evaluated and developed response strategies for multiple inbound patent licensing request letters for a leading global technology company.
- Managed multiple patent portfolios for a leading global technology company.
- Developed and prosecuted patent and trademark portfolios for a Silicon Valley start-up with pre-money valuation of $150+ million.
- Developed and prosecuted patent portfolio for a data privacy start-up whose technology is the only system that currently enables data analytics use in compliance with evolving regulations like the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”).
- Prosecuted multiple patents for the spinal cord stimulation division of a major biomedical devices company.
- Washington University, BS, magna cum laude
- University of Houston Law Center, JD
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
Rate : $$$$