Daniel K. Ryan has a diverse commercial litigation practice. He is recognized and distinguished for his strategic ability to successfully and aggressively resolve business disputes, particularly in matters tried in federal courts and through arbitration.
His technical background includes a unique combination of capabilities in class action lawsuits, health care litigation, employee benefits litigation, consumer fraud, bad faith, biometric privacy acts, corporate disputes, employment discrimination, IT software implementation disputes, securities fraud, and corporate dissolutions.
Dan’s business litigation practice is nationally focused, with his cases venued throughout the country. In addition to various arbitration forums, he has represented his clients before the United States Courts of Appeals for the Seventh and Eighth Circuits, the Illinois and Indiana Appellate Courts, the United States District Courts in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Nebraska, Massachusetts, South Dakota, California, Colorado, Minnesota and Florida, the EEOC, the Illinois Department of Human Rights and the Illinois Human Rights Commission. Dan has tried numerous cases, both jury and non-jury.
His practice also entails a substantial number of matters involving alternative dispute resolution, both mediation and arbitration. Dan devotes a significant part of his practice to managed care disputes and employee benefits litigation, both ERISA and non-ERISA. He has represented employee benefit plans and fiduciaries in court litigation and arbitration, including trials and appeals.
Dan’s employee benefits litigation experience in this area includes the defense of health, life and disability claims, annuity, suitability, and related disputes, long term care coverage disputes, provider disputes, breach of fiduciary duty claims, fraudulent billing, and reporting and disclosure claims.
Dan also possesses a substantial capability in the area of “special remedies.” He has obtained injunctive relief in business disputes involving hospitals, health care plans, limited liability companies, and corporate dissolutions. Dan concentrates a significant amount of his practice in the areas of non-competition agreements.
Dan joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in January 1988. He is a member of the firm’s Management Committee, Executive Committee, and is the Chair of the firm’s Business Litigation Practice Group.
During his career with the firm, he has contributed significantly to its growth and management, having served on the Hiring Committee, the Associate Evaluation Committee and as an instructor for Hinshaw University, the firm’s technical and professional training program for associate attorneys.
Representative Matters :
- Numerous health, life and disability cases (both ERISA and non-ERISA) at both trial court and appellate court levels
- Managed care disputes against participating and non-participating providers, involving reimbursement disputes, fraudulent billing, usual and customary charges and related billing issues
- Favorable verdicts in employment discrimination suits
- Favorable jury verdicts in bad faith claims handling cases
- Class action involving alleged violation of the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (“BIPA”).
- Defense of banks, credit card issuers, financial institutions and automobile manufacturers in class actions involving claims of Uniform Commercial Code, consumer fraud, truth-in-lending and fair credit reporting
- Real estate disputes including right of first refusal claims on purchase of a $37.5 million apartment complex, as well as TIF district disputes, special service area tax developments and condemnations
- Representing financial institutions in claims arising out of the Uniform Commercial Code (Articles 3 and 4), including fictitious payees, forgeries and alterations, and other check schemes
- Defense of a prominent truck manufacturer against claims for tortious interference with an international distribution agreement.
Professional Affiliations :
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Employee Benefits Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Health, Life & Disability Committee
- Employee Benefits Committee.
- J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law
- B.A., University of Notre Dame
- Federal Trial Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin.
Rate : $$$$