Daniel Phillip Sinaiko represents developers, sponsors, lenders, and investors in capital and infrastructure projects. Focusing on the renewable energy sector, he handles transactions including development, debt finance, equity finance, and mergers and acquisitions.Dan has been practicing in the renewable energy space since its emergence as a viable large-scale power source. He has been involved in some of the world’s largest and most complex projects throughout the United States and in the Middle East.
Dan handles project finance infrastructure matters involving:
- distributed generation
- solar generating systems
- wind farms
- energy efficiency and smart grid.
- Co-leader of the firm’s global project finance practice.
- Practice emphasis on infrastructure project financings, debt financings, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Focus on project development and finance.
- Serving as counsel to an EPC contractor in contracts to install up to 4 MW of rooftop photovoltaic projects throughout the United States.
- Representing tax equity investors in the negotiation and consummation of commitments to purchase commercial and residential solar projects aggregating to more than $500 million.
- Counseling an acquirer/tax equity investor in the 200 MW White Creek Wind Project in central Washington.
- Advising Ram Power in the negotiation of power purchase agreements with Southern California Edison for the sale of energy from geothermal projects with a capacity of up to 150 MW to be installed in the southwestern United States.
- Advising project companies in the negotiation of 1.17 GW of wind turbine supply arrangements for the Alta Wind Energy Center in Tehachapi, California.
- Providing advice to SunPower Corporation in the sale and financing of the Kalaeloa Solar Two 5 MW photovoltaic project located in Oahu, Hawaii. The project sells power to the Hawaiian Electric Company and, as of completion, was the largest solar project in the state of Hawaii. The purchaser utilized a construction loan in conjunction with tax equity financing to acquire the project. The project benefits from the federal solar investment tax credit and the Hawaii Renewable Energy Technologies Income Tax Credit.
- Assisting the seller in the disposition of a 15 MW geothermal energy generating plant located in Fallon, Nevada.
- Counseling the lender in a $70 million mezzanine loan facility to a U.S.-based commercial and industrial solar developer.
- Assisting the investor in a $101 million tax equity commitment for a portfolio of residential solar projects located throughout the United States.
- Provided legal counsel to the sponsor in the development and financing of the 52 MW Hooper Solar Energy Project in Alamosa County, Colorado, including negotiation of, and advice on, various project documents and $142 million financing, including $53 million in construction, term and letter of credit financing.
- Representing the investor in a $100 million tax equity commitment for a residential solar portfolio.
- Advising the sponsor in the development and financing of the 102 MW Henrietta Solar Energy Project in Kings County, California, including negotiation of, and advice on, various project documents and
$372 million financing, including approximately $250 million in construction, term and letter of credit financing.
- Serving as counsel to the lender in a $75 million mezzanine loan facility for the development and financing of a national commercial and industrial solar project portfolio.
- Advising the sponsor in a $60 million open tax equity fund for distributed solar projects to be located throughout the United States.
- Assisting NRG in connection with the disposition of its renewables business to Global Infrastructure Partners, including the sale of NRG Renew and NRG’s interest in the NRG Yield.
- Represented an acquirer of an interest in an approximately 1,200 MW merchant gas-fired power plant located in PJM Interconnect.
- Represented SunPower in the sale of a 4.7 GW portfolio of utility-scale development solar assets to Clearway Renewables (NRG Renew).
- Advised GlassPoint Solar in connection with the development of the 850 MWt/25 MWe Tulare Solar enhanced oil recovery project for the Belridge oilfield located near Bakersfield, California, including structuring and negotiation of solar energy supply, carbon credit sale, site control, construction contracting, and advice on debt and tax equity structuring.
- Served as counsel to Abu Dhabi Water and Electric Company in the tender, development and financing of the 1,777 MW Sweihan Photovoltaic Independent Power Project located in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. Advised on the solicitation process, offtake agreement, construction and operational contracting, site control documentation, and $870 million debt and equity project financing.
- Assisting SunPower Corporation in connection with the Hannon Armstrong “SunStrong Capital Holdings” joint venture, facilitating the deconsolidation and optimization cash flows of SunPower’s entire residential solar lease portfolio, including multiple mezzanine loan facilities and the refinancing of existing back-leverage facilities through a $400 million asset-backed securitization.
- Served as counsel to project companies in the development and financing of the 392-MW Ivanpah Solar Energy Generating System in San Bernadino County, California, including negotiation of, and advice on, various project arrangements and $2.2 billion in financing, including $1.6 billion in construction and permanent debt guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Energy under the Innovative Technology Loan Guaranty Program.
- Advised SunPower Corporation in connection with approximately $975 million acquisition of 8point3 Energy Partners by Capital Dynamics.
- Representing SunPower Corporation and NRG Energy in connection with the financing of the California Valley Solar Ranch, a 250 MW solar (PV) project located in San Luis Obispo, California. Financing of this project included a $1.237 billion construction and permanent loan guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Representing the acquirer of an approximately 115 MW portfolio of small utility-scale solar projects located in California.
- Providing counsel to the sponsor in the acquisition of a 114 MW wind farm located in the Texas Panhandle.
- Representing project companies in the development and financing of the 845 MW Shepherds Flat Wind Farm in central Oregon, including negotiation of power purchase agreements with Southern California Edison Company and $2 billion financing, including $1.3 billion in construction and permanent debt guaranteed in part by the U.S. Department of Energy under the Financial Institution Partnership Program.
- Advising the developer in a $140 million back-leveraged credit facility for a portfolio of residential solar projects located throughout the United States.
- Representing the sponsor in $63 million residential solar portfolio financing, including back-leverage loan and letter of credit facility and contemporaneous strategic equity financing.
- Advising a private equity fund in the acquisition and combination of a small-scale utility solar developer with a 400 MW development pipeline and commercial and small utility scale developer with a pipeline of more than 100 operating projects throughout the United States, including structuring, negotiation, and documentation of purchase and combination.
- Representing a residential solar developer in the creation of a $58 million tax equity fund for a portfolio of residential solar projects.
- Serving as counsel to a developer in the negotiation and documentation of sale/-leaseback tax equity transaction for an 11 MW portfolio of commercial photovoltaic solar projects.
- Representing John Deere Renewables in the acquisition of two wind energy generating facilities in Huron County and Sanilac County, Michigan, aggregating to approximately 150 MW of capacity.
- Providing counsel to a project company in the development of a 30 MW solar photovoltaic plant for a municipal utility in the southwestern United States.
- Assisting the purchaser in an acquisition and tax equity sale-leaseback financing of a utility-scale photovoltaic solar plant in the eastern United States.
- Assisting developers in the creation of residential solar programs and the negotiation and consummation of portfolio tax equity commitments.
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, 2000
- B.A., University of Rochester, cum laude, 1997
- U.S.B.C., Northern District of Georgia
Rate : $$$$