An experienced litigator, Daniel Waltz advises and represents regional, national and international companies, financial institutions and insurers in all facets of business, complex commercial and insurance coverage litigation. He is committed to working with his clients to find creative solutions to meet their needs.
Daniel represents his clients in federal and state courts, before administrative agencies, and in arbitration and mediation proceedings. He also provides guidance to clients navigating regulatory and compliance issues.
Daniel focuses his practice in the areas of cybersecurity, information privacy and privacy breach response. He provides representation in connection with complex litigation involving BIPA, GLBA, HIPAA/HITECH, PIPA and other related state and federal laws and regulation.
Daniel also advises clients in connection with applicable law and regulation to identify legal risks and implement best practices throughout all phases of the data-management lifecycle.
He advises his insurance clients in connection with a wide variety of insurance policies, including multimedia and advertising, data privacy liability, professional liability, employment practices liability, directors and officers liability, commercial general liability, and excess liability.
Daniel has developed an understanding of the unique tactics and strategies necessary to defend insurers in high-stakes matters. Prior to joining the firm, Daniel was a litigation associate at a large national firm, where his practice focused on the defense of individuals and corporations.
He also served as an assistant attorney general for the state of Illinois, where he defended state agencies in complex litigation. Daniel has first-chaired several trials and administrative hearings, argued significant motions, and advocated for modifications to existing law.
In his spare time, Daniel is an active member of the Young Professionals Board for the Center for Disability and Elder Law, which provides vital pro bono legal representation to Chicago’s most vulnerable communities in a wide variety of matters.
Representative Matters :
- Advised insurance client with respect to coverage strategy where the insured was involved in a class action with a global demand in excess of $1 billion.
- Defended a large national corporation against a class action lawsuit alleging damages as the result of a data breach.
- Prepared dozens of coverage opinion and reservation of rights letters on behalf of insurance clients under policies for employment practices liability, professional services liability and excess liability.
Professional Experience :
- Assistant Attorney General, Illinois Attorney General’s Office, 2015-2017
- Staff Attorney to the Presiding Judge, Circuit Court of Cook County, 2012-2015
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 2010
- Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, B.S., 2007
BAR ADMISSIONS : Illinois, Wisconsin
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
Rate : $$$