Darren S. Cahr counsels clients and litigates disputes relating to intellectual property and marketing practices. He provides critical advice and representation in connection with infringement claims, the protection of intangible assets, competitive positioning, branded communications, and the legal implications of new technology.
Darren litigates and tries cases in courts around the nation and before administrative agencies, dispute resolution forums and self-regulatory bodies. In addition, Darren serves as co-chair of the firm’s Advertising and Promotions Team.
Darren is a widely published author on topics of law, social media, and popular culture, a novelist, a musician, and an active member of several professional organizations. His highly praised presentations on the intersection of legal ethics and social media have been featured by two major bar organizations at their annual meetings.
He also regularly speaks on issues involving new media and intellectual property throughout the country and around the world, and can be found on twitter @legallysocial.
Darren has been recognized by World Trademark Review magazine as a “marque and product design maestro.” Past reviews have lauded his ability to deliver “smart, thorough and fast” counsel to clients, described him as “a wonderful trial lawyer with a firm grasp on the law,” and noted that he is a “nationwide thought leader on the interface between social media and intellectual property.”
- Counseled a number of major insurance companies on intellectual property issues and marketing practices
- Advised well-known environmentally conscious consumer products company on marketing practices and social media
- Advised major national retailer on copyright and trademark issues, and successfully resolved a series of high-profile infringement disputes pre-litigation
- Coordinated international branding efforts with global network of foreign counsel for major life sciences company
- Counseled life-sciences companies on product packaging and legal risks emerging from parallel importation and counterfeiting
- Reviewed and designed legal framework for cutting-edge online promotions, including sweepstakes, contests, and other marketing practices.
- Northwestern University, J.D., 1993
- Northwestern University, B.A., 1990
Bar Admissions : Illinois
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
Rate : $$$