David Yelin is the managing partner of the Chicago office and is head of the office’s real estate practice. He served on Duane Morris’ executive committee from 2010 to 2017. Mr. Yelin concentrates his practice on real estate law and focuses on commercial real estate transactions.
He has significant experience in acquisitions, development, financing and construction and build-to-suit office and industrial buildings. He also represents landlords and tenants in lease negotiations and has been involved in numerous multistate transactions involving the acquisition and disposition of commercial and industrial properties.
Mr. Yelin has represented financial institutions in lending, work-out and restructured loan transactions and borrowers in financing transactions. He has assisted developers with retail space leases and build-to-suit leases.
Mr. Yelin has also represented clients before various municipal zoning boards and land use planning commissions in connection with planned unit development ordinances, zoning classification changes, zoning variances and special use permits.
- Represented Calumet Armature & Electric, LLC, an Illinois-based provider of design, manufacturing, assembly, and repair services of electric motors for the industrial and mass transit markets, in the transfer and lease-back of its industrial real estate, in connection with a sale of its membership interests to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Integrated Electrical Services, Inc. (NASDAQ: IESC).
- Represented a real estate investment fund in the $4.4 million acquisition, and negotiation of seller financing, of 100 condominium units in a 250-unit building on LaSalle Street in downtown Chicago. As part of the acquisition, the client obtained a controlling interest in the condominium board and management of the building. The condominium units are 100-percent leased.
- Represented the U.S. affiliate of CJ CheilJedang Corp. in a complex joint-venture transaction with Cargill Inc. to build and operate a lysine production facility in Fort Dodge, Iowa. The transaction included the negotiation of a 50-year lease with options to extend the lease term to 100 years and various service agreements.
- Acted as counsel for a state university-related organization in development of $160 million proton research and treatment center that utilizes a linear accelerator to produce protons for targeted radiation treatments for cancer patients. Complex development involved a ground lease, project development agreements and project financing issues and solutions.
- Acted as counsel to a regional health care systems provider in the development of a large ambulatory surgical facility with adjoining hotel for patients and visitors.
- Represented regional bank in development of more than 45 branches with unique issues in shopping centers, retail buildings and other consumer-convenient locations. Solved problems relating to reciprocal easement operating agreements and associated maintenance, lighting, signage and operating issues.
- Represented companies in sales of large buildings (generally valued at more than $10 million) subject to collateralized debt obligation agreements or other covenants restricting defeasance. Handled negotiation and drafting of loan defeasance agreements allowing for substitution of collateral to enable sales.
- Acted as counsel to real estate developers involved in the development and construction of urban high-rise offices and condominium buildings. For example, handled all issues and agreements relating to development of a 50-story apartment tower with parking facilities and a retail-services complex.
- Represented a number of retailers, particularly in the outdoor recreation industry, in the acquisition and development of sites or bundles of sites suitable for operations.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1986
- University of Akron, B.S., 1979
- Duane Morris LLP, – Partner, 2000-present
- Jenner & Block, Chicago, Illinois, – Partner, 1986-2000
- Certified Public Accountant, Ohio, 1982
- American Bar Association , – Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Chicago Bar Association (1992-2010), – Real Estate Committee
- International Association of Attorneys and Executives in Corporate Real Estate (1998-2014)
- Respiratory Health Association
- Board Chair (2016-present)
- Executive Committee Member (2006-present)
- Board Member (2002-present)
Rate : $$$