David B. Bassett’s practice concentrates on intellectual property litigation, particularly on biotechnology, pharmaceutical and Hatch-Waxman patent disputes. He also represents clients in a wide variety of other business disputes, including breach of contract, Lanham Act and Internet-related claims.
Mr. Bassett’s intellectual property litigation clients have included Forest (Allergan), Gilead Sciences, Foundation Medicine, Precision BioSciences, Biogen, Procter & Gamble, Calgene, Cephalon, Kurzweil Music, RSA Security, Braintree Laboratories and many others.
His practice has covered all facets of litigation, including discovery, settlement, alternative dispute resolution, trials and appeals. Mr. Bassett has been lead trial lawyer in more than a dozen patent trials, and has appeared before the Courts of Appeals for the First and Federal Circuits.
Mr. Bassett is a partner in the firm’s Litigation/Controversy Department, a member of the Intellectual Property Litigation Practice and FinTech Group. He is the former chair of the firm’s Associates Committee and of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice. He joined the firm in 1989.
- A successful jury trial for a biotechnology company that developed an innovative genome editing method
- Handling multiple inter partes reviews for one of the country’s largest plastics company
- Representing a major biotechnology company in one of the largest biotech patent litigations in the country
- Representing a leading biopharmaceutical company in a series of patent and patent licensing litigations
- Representing an integrated business consulting service company in litigation to enforce a noncompete agreement with a former employee.
Community Involvement : Former Chair, Masconomet Regional School Committee
Professional Activities :
- Executive Committee of the New York State Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- JD, Harvard Law School, 1987
- BA, Indiana University, 1984
ADMISSIONS : New York, Massachusetts, Indiana.
CLERKSHIPS : The Hon. Sarah Evans Barker, US District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 1987 – 1989.
Rate : $$$$