David L. Beam is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Washington, DC office. He is a member of the firm’s Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement group. David’s practice encompasses a broad range of matters related to financial services. His focus is on payment systems and credit products, with an emphasis on legal issues that arise from the innovative use of technology in financial services.
David was among ten lawyers worldwide selected for inclusion as ranked lawyers in the area of Payments Law by Chambers FinTech 2018, the inaugural publication by Chambers and Partners identifying the best lawyers and other professional advisors representing the fintech sector.
In September 2018, the National Law Journal included David on its inaugural list of Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and Fintech Trailblazers for his work at intersection of finance and technology. Super Lawyers magazine also named David a rising star in Washington DC, 2013-2015.
David’s clients range from startups to some of the world’s largest financial institutions. They comprise a broad spectrum of the financial services industry, and include banks and bank affiliates; fintech companies; money service businesses; investment banks; non-bank; commercial and consumer lenders; and payment system providers. His practice includes:
- Providing clients with regulatory compliance and related business planning advice;
- Representing clients in connection with investments and acquisitions related to financial services companies;
- Defending companies in federal and state governmental audits, investigations, and enforcement proceedings;
- Obtaining approvals, licenses, and regulatory guidance from US federal and state financial regulators;
- Assisting in litigation matters, including putative class action proceedings.
- Emory University, BA
- University of Maine School of Law, JD, magna cum laude
Admissions : District of Columbia
Activities : ABA Consumer Financial Services Committee (chair, Preemption and Federalism Subcommittee)
- Advised numerous clients in connection with examinations and supervisory proceedings by federal and state financial regulators, including the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Federal Reserve Board.
- Defended numerous companies being investigated for operating as unlicensed money services businesses by state financial regulators.
- Defended a money services business being investigated by federal and state financial regulators for allegedly engaging in unauthorized banking practices.
- Advised a major global financial institution on a broad range of regulatory issues in connection with its prepaid card and emerging payments business.
- Conducted numerous regulatory due diligences of fintech companies and other financial service providers for potential investors and business partners.
- Advised numerous clients on the application of various federal and state financial laws to cryptocurrencies and other blockchain technologies.
- Served as regulatory counsel for a global financial services organization in connection with the development of an alternative to checking accounts to be offered through Wal-Mart stores.
Rate : $$$