David L. Bearman is a shareholder in the Memphis office and a member of the Business Litigation Group. David Bearman is a trusted counselor who partners with his clients to develop resolution strategies that best reflect their particular needs and goals. He has earned a reputation as a creative problem solver and for providing superior service.
Mr. Bearman has represented clients in a wide variety of legal matters including those involving business and contract disputes, interstate water rights, First Amendment and defamation claims, torts, consumer protection complaints, and civil rights.
His clients include large and small businesses, municipalities and utilities, insurance companies, religious organizations, animal rights organizations, and individuals. He is recognized as a leading practitioner with extensive experience handling complex litigation in both state and federal courts.
Mr. Bearman is a strong advocate of public service and pro bono legal services and serves on the Law Firm’s Diversity Committee.
- The University of Memphis, Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, J.D., 1996, with high honors
- University of Minnesota, Duluth, B.A., 1982
- United States Court of Appeal for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- Represented a vehicle dealership in a putative class action suit alleging fraud and Tennessee Consumer Protection Act violations.
- Represented regional vehicle retailer in putative class action suit alleging violations of the Truth in Lending Act. Obtained early dismissal in U.S. District Court.
- Represented plaintiff in breach of contract suit tried in U.S. District Court. Obtained judgment for compensatory damages and for attorney fees.
- Represented utility company in suit filed by landowners seeking to collect damages for utility’s leasing of space on its transmission towers to cellular telephone companies. Obtained summary judgment in Tennessee Circuit Court.
- Represented defendant in action filed by United States to enforce monetary penalty assessed by Commodity Futures Trading Commission. Obtained summary judgment in U.S. District Court.
- Represented a major retail store in the wrongful death lawsuit filed by the estate of a decedent who was fatally injured by a security guard.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Board of Directors – Memphis Bar Association
- Recipient – CEO Circle Pro Bono Impact Award 2015, Baker, Donelson, Bearman Caldwell & Berkowitz
- Recipient – Pro Bono Impact Award 2015, Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, Memphis Office
- Recipient – Mentor of the Year 2015, Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, Memphis Office
- Recipient – Pro Bono Attorney of the Year 2010, Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, Memphis Office
Rate : $$$