David Berek is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Chicago office. With nearly 30 years of experience as a lawyer and tax accountant, and a multidisciplinary approach to wealth management, he was recognized as the top private client planning professional by Family Office Review in 2015.
Mr. Berek also teaches family office and multigenerational planning as an adjunct professor in DePaul University’s wealth management graduate program. Mr. Berek assists wealthy families, high net worth individuals, corporate executives and privately owned family businesses in advanced wealth planning, and devises transfer tax planning strategies for sophisticated partnerships and family office structures.
His practice covers grantor trust planning, lifetime taxable transfers to generation-skipping transfer tax (GST) exempt trusts, and the utilization of self-cancelling notes, private annuities, and grantor retained annuity trusts. He also assists in creating and maintaining charitable remainder trusts, family foundations, pre-immigration planning and expatriate planning.
- The John Marshall Law School (LL.M. with honors Employee Benefits) (2006)
- The John Marshall Law School (J.D. cum laude) (1999)
- Arizona~United States (2016)
- Florida~United States (2000)
- Illinois~United States (1999)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association – Chair, Fiduciary Income Tax, Tax Section
- Chicago Bar Association – Former Chair, Estate Planning Committee
- Certified Financial Planner
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) – Member
Rate : $$$