David S. Birnbaum represents employers in labor and employment matters, with a focus on collective bargaining, arbitration, litigation, strikes and picketing disputes, corporate campaigns, and representation proceedings arising under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) and the Railway Labor Act (RLA).
In 2017, The Legal 500 US named David as one of five “Next Generation Lawyers” in the United States for labor-management relations in recognition of his numerous successes on behalf of leading employers in complex and high-profile matters.
His traditional labor practice spans employers in the automotive, construction, health care, hospitality, manufacturing, media, mining, oil & gas, private equity, railroad, retail, telecommunications, and transportation industries.
David has extensive experience representing clients in connection with labor and employment aspects of corporate and municipal restructurings and bankruptcies as well as mergers and acquisitions.
He also has significant experience with single and multiplaintiff employment litigation and regularly counsels employers in all areas of labor & employment law. Clients with whom David has worked include Continental Automotive, CSXT, HCA, Kraft Heinz Company, National Railway Labor Conference, Saputo, Sutter Health, Verizon, Wal-Mart, and Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority.
- University of Michigan (J.D. 2005; Journal of Law Reform);
- Miami University (B.S.B. in Finance 2002)
BAR ADMISSIONS : Illinois
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable James S. Gwin,
- U.S. District Court,
- Northern District of Ohio (Summer 2003)
- Kraft Heinz prevails in arbitration with UFCW regarding significant plant closure medical benefits
- Kraft Heinz successfully negotiates with UFCW, Local 431
- Alpha Natural Resources plan confirmed by U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- Veolia sells U.S. solid waste business to Highstar Capital’s portfolio company Star Atlantic Waste for $1.9 billion
- Shiloh Industries negotiates successor collective bargaining agreement with iron workers’ union
- Chicago Public Media negotiates first contract with SAG-AFTRA covering content creation professionals
- Saputo acquires dairy and non-dairy extended shelf-life producer Morningstar Foods from Dean Foods Company for $1.45 billion
- Continental Tire obtains favorable outcome in arbitrations involving USW
- Viking Range defeats Whirlpool in its attempt for injunctive relief to prohibit former exec from working at Viking
- Continental Automotive Systems obtains ruling to have putative class action case regarding retiree medical benefits transferred
- Continental Tire obtains preliminary approval in settlement in ERISA class action.
Rate : $$$$