David C. Blum provides transactional, tax planning, and tax litigation counsel to local and multinational businesses throughout the United States. His practice serves a variety of sectors, including telecommunications, automotive retail, equipment leasing, financial services, senior care, logistics, hospitality, and retail, among others. According to a client quoted in Chambers, “David is intelligent, client-focused and cares about the big picture in addition to the details.”
David’s comprehensive multistate taxation practice includes nexus issues, income apportionment, sales and use tax, franchise tax, False Claims Act (qui tam), transfer taxes, and state registration and reporting requirements.
In addition, he has significant experience in creating and implementing tax-efficient corporate and partnership structures for all types of U.S. and cross border transactions, including business start-ups, private equity, venture capital, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, dispositions, restructurings, intellectual property, and corporate finance matters.
A former state tax auditor, David has years of experience representing U.S. and multinational companies before the Internal Revenue Service and state and local taxing agencies throughout the country.
He frequently defends large and complex audits at all stages of the audit and appeal process. He represents taxpayers in U.S. Tax Court, IRS Appeals Division, state court, state and city Administrative Hearings, and state and local taxing agencies across the country.
David frequently writes and speaks on a variety of topics. He has written articles for national publications and has been quoted in The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Forbes, CNBC, MSN, Crain’s, Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, Tax Analyst, Law360, and State Tax Notes.
- J.D., The John Marshall Law School, 1997, Order of John Marshall, cum laude
- LL.M. in Taxation, The John Marshall Law School, 1997
- B.S.B.A., University of Arizona, Accounting and Finance, 1990
Bar Admissions : Illinois
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Tax Court
- Institute for Professional Taxation 2018 Annual Conference, Income Tax Planning Committee, Member
- Illinois CPA Society, Annual SALT Conference, Chair, 2017-2018
- Chicago Tax Club, Indirect & Operation Tax Committee, Member
- Taxpayer’s Federation of Illinois, Sales & Use, Income, Local Tax Committees, Member
- Council On State Taxation, Member
- Chicago Bar Partnership and Flow-through Entity Subcommittee, Past Chair
- Chicago Bar Federal Tax Executive Committee
Rate : $$$$