David Lashway is the Co-chair of the Global Cybersecurity Practice and a member of the Management Committee in Baker McKenzie’s Washington, DC office. David is listed in Chambers, a Leading Lawyer by Legal 500, and named in The Washingtonian as a Top Lawyer for crisis management and cybersecurity.
He was awarded Corporate Counsel Magazine’s 2017 Gold Winner for Cyber/Privacy Counsel in its annual Best of Corporate Counsel rankings and he is included among the Cyber Incident Response 30 Best Lawyers 2018.
David is a frequent speaker and regularly participates in the Cyber Leadership Forum regarding cybersecurity sponsored by the Yale Law School. He is a member of the editorial board for LexisNexis’ Privacy & Cybersecurity Law Reporter and serves on the US Chamber of Commerce Cybersecurity Council.
David is an active member of the Atlantic Council, the NY Cyber Task Force at Columbia University, the cyber working group at MIT, and serves on the board of several not-for-profit organizations. David focuses his practice in the areas of cybersecurity, crisis management, internal investigations, and complex criminal, civil and administrative litigation.
He advises the Fortune 100 on the full lifecycle of enterprise risks associated with information security, including before, during and after a network breach, and routinely handles federal regulatory and criminal and civil cybersecurity matters.
He leads global investigations around the theft or compromise of confidential data and trade secrets, including serving as the lead counsel to the cyber investigation firm in the hack of the 2016 US Presidential Election.
- Vermont Law School (J.D.) (1996)
- Vermont Law School (M.S. Environmental Law) (1996)
- Dickinson College (B.A.) (1993)
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit~United States (2006)
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia~United States (2002)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit~United States (2001)
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims~United States (1999)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association – Member
- District of Columbia Bar – Member
- New York Bar Association – Member
Representative Legal Matters:
- Advising a major US energy infrastructure company with respect to the legal response to notice by FBI and DHS of a cyber-campaign allegedly targeting the company.
- Advising a global investment bank on the development of a new financing vehicle to fund certain infrastructure associated with a new military installation in the Republic of Korea.
- Advising a major telecommunications provider with respect to an ongoing investigation by the US Department of Justice and the Office of the Inspector General of the GSA in a multi-billion dollar contract.
- Counseled the world’s largest natural gas company in its response to the Congressional investigation into hydraulic fracturing and in response to the US EPA’s ongoing inquiries and studies.
- Served as lead pro bono counsel to the family of an American reporter detained in Libya. Worked with a number of governments and non-profit groups to successfully facilitate the release of the reporter and several other detained individuals.
Rate : $$$