David R. Clonts provides clients across a broad range of industries with a practical and focused approach to litigation, quickly prioritizing and determining the pivotal issues required to win in a given case.
Having worked in the technology sector as a programmer and engineer, David has the knowledge to speak with authority to technical experts and engineers, as well as to juries and judges tasked with legal decisions in the IP space.
- Provides strategic intellectual property (IP) guidance and counseling, assisting with licensing IP and managing IP aspects of corporate transactions.
- Focuses on technology, medical devices and telecommunications sectors.
- Has litigated more than 50 patent cases.
- Lead patent counsel defending one of the world’s largest semiconductor memory chip makers against patent infringement claims on dynamic random access memories. Resulted in a take-nothing jury verdict that was named to National Law Journal’s “Defense Hot List.”
- For more than a decade, has counseled one of the nation’s top telecommunications service providers, providing strategic advice and IP opinion work.
- Lead counsel over the course of an eight-year, high-dollar demand patent litigation battle in the vehicle navigation business.
- Provided due diligence in a bid for a leading medical device company, advising on what was and was not valuable in the target business.
- Favorably represented a plaintiff alleging infringement of a patent related to blades for use in microkeratomes, which are ophthalmic devices used in LASIK procedures. The defendant subsequently exited the sector.
- ACI: Patent Litigation Forum – “Patent Reform Primer: Analyzing the Implementation of the America Invents Act and Investigating Unresolved Issues on the Forefront of Litigation,” December 9, 2013.
- Innovation in E-Discovery Conference “Social Media, BYOD, Cloud, Privacy, and Data Protection,” June 2016.
- “Social Media, BYOD, Cloud, Privacy and Data Protection,” Innovation in E-Discovery Conference, June 2016.
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA).
- Member, Houston Bar Association (HBA).
- Member, American Bar Association (ABA).
- Member, Houston Intellectual Property Law Association (HIPLA).
- Member, The Honorable Nancy F. Atlas Intellectual Property American Inn of Court.
- Chambers Global, leading practitioner in Intellectual Property, 2006 to 2015.
- Chambers USA, leading practitioner in Intellectual Property, 2005 to 2018.
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 1991
- B.S.E.E., Georgia Institute of Technology, 1987
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Rate : $$$