David C. Djaha has been appointed managing partner-elect of Ropes & Gray and will become managing partner of the firm effective January 1, 2020. David is a member of Ropes & Gray’s policy committee (the firm’s global governing body) and leads the firm’s global real estate investments & transactions group.
David focuses his practice on complex core and distressed acquisitions and dispositions as well as asset- and mortgage-backed finance. David has almost 30 years of experience representing clients in both U.S. and international transactions.
He has extensive experience advising investment banks, private equity funds and domestic and international developers and investors in all of their real estate transactional needs. Additionally, David regularly advises clients on matters involving capital markets, asset-based and mezzanine finance, as well as warehouse lending and construction lending, real estate private equity, and joint ventures involving domestic and international transactions.
- JD, Dean’s List, Brooklyn Law School, 1988; Executive Research Editor of The Brooklyn Journal of International Law
- BA (Communication), cum laude, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, 1985; Dean’s List, Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society
ADMISSIONS : New York, 1989
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS :
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Association of Foreign Investors in Real Estate
- Ropes & Gray Policy Committee
- Represented a global private equity firm in connection with its formation of four joint ventures to acquire multiple portfolios of office and development properties located throughout the United States, having a value of more than $1 billion.
- Represented an institutional investor in the formation of a programmatic joint venture to acquire and develop more than $400 million of mixed-use real estate located in New York City, including 21 West End Avenue.
- Representing subsidiaries of a real estate investment trust in connection with the closing of loan facilities having an aggregate principal amount of over $15 billion.
- Represented a private equity fund in connection with its investment in a $1.6 billion debt stack for the restructuring of a seven-property portfolio consisting of hotels in California and Hawaii, including the restructuring of multiple layers of debt, the forbearance of the senior loan, and negotiating new intercreditor arrangements.
- Represented a group of affiliated publicly traded REIT in a series of acquisitions of commercial, medical and government office buildings in major U.S. cities, including Class A office buildings in Manhattan and Chicago totaling more than $1 billion and 4 million square feet.
- Represented a private real estate investment company and its capital partner, a large investment fund, in the distressed purchase of a New York hotel.
Rate : $$$