David Maron, shareholder in the Jackson office, concentrates his practice defending commercial, product liability and consumer fraud disputes. Mr. Maron’s practice is focused on litigating business and commercial disputes for pharmaceutical manufacturers, insurance companies and other businesses before U.S. federal and state courts and regulatory agencies.
Mr. Maron has defended clients in government-initiated consumer protection, consumer fraud and government regulatory actions. He has experience managing mass tort litigation and has represented numerous business entities in other commercial matters including agricultural (finance and MPCI, multiple peril crop insurance), and product liability.
Mr. Maron regularly writes and has given presentations on various civil justice and litigation-related topics. He has also authored and co-authored amicus briefs before the Mississippi Supreme Court in support of Mississippi’s statutory cap on non-economic damages and related litigation reforms.
Mr. Maron is recent past president of the Capital Area Bar Association, the state’s largest volunteer bar association, and he remains active in various national and local bar association activities, including pro-bono initiatives. He has been recognized for his pro-bono service by the Mississippi Center for Justice, as well as by the Firm, receiving its Firm-wide pro-bono award in 2007.
- University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., 1995, cum laude
- Mississippi College, B.S., 1992, with high honors and special distinction
- Mississippi, 1995
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
- Defending major pharmaceutical and consumer product companies in Attorney General suits brought under state consumer protection statutes.
- Representing national retail pharmacies in State Medicaid litigation involving pharmacy discount programs and impact on usual-and-customary pricing.
- Defense of pharmaceutical manufacturers in actions brought by or on behalf of state Medicaid agencies alleging that prescription drug manufacturers reported inaccurate pricing benchmarks in violation of state fraud, consumer protection and Medicaid fraud control laws.
- Represented a global insurance company regarding a subsidiary’s contested regulatory and residual insurance market challenges under state and federal laws.
- Represented the Mississippi Insurance Department in a contested $1.6 billion corporate restructuring of Mississippi’s largest property and casualty insurer under Mississippi insurance holding company and change of control statutes.
- Served as trial and co-appellate counsel for defendants in toxic tort industrial exposure successfully challenged improper joinder of plaintiffs in recognized “Judicial Hellhole” jurisdiction. 3M Co. v. Glass, 917 So. 2d 90 (Miss. 2005).
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), an invitation-only membership comprised of the world’s leading corporate and insurance lawyers and insurance executives
- DRI (Drug & Medical Device Committee; Product Liability Committee; Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee; Professionalism and Ethics Committee)
- Member – Mississippi Bar Association (Chair, Annual Meeting CLE Committee 2013 – 2015; Bench Bar Committee, 2016 – present; ABA YLD District Representative, 2004 – 2006)
- President – Capitol Area Bar Association (2012 – 2013)
- President – Jackson Young Lawyers Association (2001 – 2002)
- Named to Mississippi Business Journal “Leadership in Law” (2017)
- Trustee – Habitat for Humanity Mississippi Capital Area (Advisory Board, 2012 – present)
Rate : $$$$