David Christopher Giles has represented clients for more than a decade in complex litigation involving claims of professional liability and issues related to financial institutions and insurance.
He has served as lead counsel in multimillion-dollar cases involving breaches of fiduciary duty, legal malpractice, breaches of contract and other claims of professional negligence, and he regularly handles insurance disputes related to these matters.
He has tried cases to verdict in federal and state courts and represented clients in jurisdictions across the United States, including in arbitrations and other alternative approaches to dispute resolution; he has also assisted clients in internal investigations.
Whether representing plaintiffs or defendants, David always aims to resolve disputes effectively and efficiently, maximizing recoveries for clients asserting claims and minimizing risk for those defending against them.
His successful representations have involved issues that include:
- Professional negligence and fiduciary breaches
- Legal malpractice
- Fraud and related business torts
- TRO and injunction practice
- Appellate proceedings
- Post-closing disputes
- Consumer class actions
- UCC-related warranty claims
- Defamation and other privacy issues
- Winning multiple defense judgments on claims seeking tens of millions of dollars against lawyers for legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty, including prevailing on complex defenses involving jurisdiction, statutes of limitations, causation, and the standard of care.
- Winning a $43 million arbitration award plus declaratory relief for a federal agency following a two-week evidentiary hearing in a tax-sharing dispute, defeating our opponent’s claim of more than $50 million, prevailing on all eleven issues in the case, and obtaining an award of arbitrator fees as the prevailing party.
- Defeating TRO and injunction efforts to halt a federal agency’s sale of its participation interest in a $22 million line of credit.
- Representing a criminal defendant accused of conspiring to commit and committing mail, wire and tax fraud in a nearly three-week federal jury trial.
- Enjoining a chemical manufacturer’s key supplier from terminating its supply contract with the client.
- Obtaining and successfully defending on appeal a complete defense verdict following a jury trial on a $14 million claim for breach of contract against a real-estate developer.
- Defeating breach-of-contract claims and prevailing on certain counts of a metals distributor’s counterclaim arising from misstated financial statements following a one-week evidentiary hearing in an expedited arbitration where full written and oral discovery was completed in eight weeks.
- Defending a preliminary-injunction request sought against a client in a trust controversy.
- Winning multiple defense judgments and prevailing on appeal in asserted class actions against a national insurance carrier for breach of contract and consumer fraud.
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 2001
- Swarthmore College, B.A., Philosophy, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
Rate : $$$