David H. Harper is a Haynes and Boone partner, trial lawyer and member of the firm’s board of directors. David solves clients’ complex business problems and implements their strategies both in the courtroom and the boardroom as a trusted business advisor. He has served as lead counsel for the most significant and complex disputes clients have – ranging from semiconductor fabrication patent and trade secrets, oil and gas transactions, public pensions, or disputes about the sale of major businesses.
Teams that David has led or co-led have achieved remarkable success. For example, his team recently successfully defended a major semiconductor fabrication company in a patent infringement case in which the plaintiff conceded defeat in the trial court after a favorable Markman ruling. He successfully defended clients in a multi-week trial and then on appeal against claims of copyright infringement regarding video distribution rights.
He also led a team that defeated claims in the trial court of alleged theft of software as trade secrets. Likewise in business disputes, he recently pursued claims for fraud against sellers of a business to a major work wear manufacturing company which was then mutually settled.
David and the Haynes and Boone team he led won a multi-year battle defeating claims of alleged shareholder oppression in the Texas Supreme Court. And, he defended and resolved multiple lawsuits against the prominent founder of a major independent oil and gas company from claims about buyouts of other investors.
David’s skills are sought out by boards seeking him as a member, including Baylor University, where he has served for several years as the chair of multiple committees. David has also served in significant leadership roles in the firm, including as the co-chair of the firm’s overall litigation practice, chair of the IP Litigation practice, and on multiple firm management committees.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1991, cum laude; Senior Editor, Journal of Law and Public Policy
- B.B.A., Economics and Finance, Baylor University, 1988, summa cum laude
ADMISSIONS : Texas
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Rate : $$$$