With more than 40 years of experience, David W. Hilgers has the extensive knowledge and determination to help clients face today’s complex issues in the healthcare arena. David counsels healthcare providers on all their corporate and administrative legal issues – from peer review to billing issues to regulatory compliance.
With a steady hand, he guides clients in the integration of healthcare delivery systems, fraud and abuse investigations, self-referrals, licensing, provider contracts and privacy concerns. A special area of focus is handling transactions for physicians who are selling their medical groups.
David’s clients are providers across the healthcare spectrum, including physicians, dentists, health systems, managed care organizations, long-term care facilities, multispecialty groups, hospitals, hospital districts and community mental health centers. David feels fortunate to represent people he genuinely likes.
David is motivated by the unique nature of the constantly evolving healthcare industry. He enjoys the challenge of staying current with the issues that providers face and helping them navigate their way through any challenges.
- Advised clients on consequences of emerging state and federal regulation of fee-sharing, self-referral, antitrust risks and licensing of health maintenance organizations, home healthcare companies, nonprofit health organizations, physicians and other health professionals.
- Negotiated provider contracts, including global capitation contracts and development of managed Medicaid rollouts.
- Organized independent practice associations throughout Texas that have included groups with as few as three to more than 250 physicians. Complex mergers, reorganizations, acquisitions and sale of physician practices were often involved.
- Formed types of managed care, fully integrated medical groups, physician practice management companies and management services organizations.
- Organized and structured ancillary service ventures, including imaging centers, ambulatory surgery centers and specialty hospitals.
Community Leadership :
- James Dick Foundation, Board of Directors, 1996-present; Executive Committee, 1996-present
- Patient Privacy Rights, Board of Directors, 2012-present
- Texas Planned Parenthood, Advisor
- Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid, Board of Directors, 2002-present; President, 2008-2009
- J.D., University of Texas at Austin School of Law
- B.A., Swarthmore College
Admissions : Texas
Professional Associations and Memberships :
- American Bar Association
- Health Law Section, Chair, 2009-2010; Chair-Elect, 2008-2009; Vice Chair, 2007-2008
- Officers Council: Standing Committee on Continuing Legal Education, Chair, 2009-2011
- Standing Committee for Legal Aid & Indigent Defenders
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Austin Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation
Rate : $$$$