David J. Porter’s practice focuses on business litigation and counseling involving restrictive covenants and trade secrets, higher education, First Amendment and media law, copyright and trademark matters, shareholder and partnership disputes, banking and civil rights. He is the former co-chair of the firm’s Higher Education Industry team.
David has handled hundreds of litigation matters, serving as lead counsel in jury trials, non-jury trials and arbitration proceedings throughout the United States. David also litigates matters involving constitutional issues, election law, and labor and employment agreements. He has been a court-appointed master and mediator by the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
David is an author and speaker on subjects ranging from enforcement of covenants not to compete, federal and civil litigation, advanced trial practice, intellectual property, trade secrets litigation and constitutional issues. Before joining the firm in 1994, David served as law clerk to the Hon. D. Brooks Smith, currently of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D., 1992, Notes Editor of the George Mason Law Review
- Grove City College, B.A., 1988, with honors
- Elected member, American Law Institute
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Chair, Federal Court Section (2008-2009), Chair, Civil Litigation Section (2007-2008), Allegheny County Bar Association
- Master, Pittsburgh Chapter (2005-2008), American Inns of Court
- Leadership Pittsburgh (2005–2006)
Rate : $$$$