The head of Pillsbury’s Silicon Valley Intellectual Property group, David A. Jakopin has more than 25 years of experience handling IP litigation and related matters. David’s 25 years of experience in high-stakes disputes enable him to envision, assess and execute sophisticated strategies necessary for complex litigation.
His strong technical background in electronics (BSEE degree), and experience in fundamentals of licensing, civil procedure, trial strategy and general IP-focused corporate representation together allow David to bring to bear a unique combination of talents when litigating disputes, particularly in the patent and trade secret arenas, but also trademark and copyright matters. David also advises clients on strategic IP licensing and transactional issues, particularly in the context of corporate finance, mergers & acquisitions and investments.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Served as lead counsel representing Sigma Designs in the ITC against Broadcom regarding alleged patent infringement of Sigma system of chip (SoC) devices used in televisions. Final Initial Determination of non-infringement for all three patents asserted against Sigma.
- Served as lead counsel representing Silicon Mitus in the Northern District of California on six patents related to power management integrated circuits asserted in a Complaint filed by Maxim. Case settled after the filing of IPRs, an Order from a Markman hearing, and the filing of another patent infringement lawsuit by Silicon Mitus in Korea.
- Served as lead counsel representing Inphi Corp. in three separate inter partesreexaminations. Currently, almost all original claims have been either cancelled or amended.
- Served as lead counsel representing Sigma Designs in patent litigation in Northern District of California on patents related to Ethernet. Court granted summary judgment of non-infringement. Case favorably dismissed with prejudice.
- Served as lead counsel representing ThreatMetrix in trademark infringement litigation in the Northern District of California regarding a mark used in the cybersecurity field. Case settled favorably for ThreatMetrix with defendant agreeing to cease all use of the infringing mark.
- Advising client on indemnification request related to a release of escrow stemming from a merger and acquisition agreement, in the context of patent litigation and IPR proceedings.
- Obtained ex parte temporary restraining order as lead counsel for client in a matter that pled misappropriation and breach of contract, among other claims. Case settled prior to a hearing.
- Advised public company client on strategic acquisition that included spin-out of a business unit of the target contemporaneously with acquisition, and in particular advised on the related intellectual property issues.
- Served as lead counsel in patent litigation representing Archos Inc. against charges of infringement relating to patents on audio programming with dynamic program selection in Eastern District of Texas. Case settled.
- Represented Everypath in a trade secrets case, which involved a six-week jury trial, relating to wireless proxy technology for handheld wireless devices. Case tried with positive outcome.
- Brought declaratory judgment action against Netcentives relating to an Internet business method patent. Lead Counsel. Case settled.
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, 1987
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, 1984
ADMISSIONS : California, Illinois, District of Columbia, The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Rate : $$$$