David G. Keyko’s practice has focused on major, complex litigation, including cases involving allegations of fraud, antitrust violations, ethics issues and trusts and estates matters. David has tried large commercial cases, conducted internal investigations and responded to government probes.
He has also served as an expert witness in connection with legal malpractice litigation. He has lectured and written widely on securities, antitrust, legal ethics and general litigation topics, and chairs the Practising Law Institute’s programs on federal pretrial practice and ethics for corporate lawyers. David maintains an active pro bono practice as well.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Successfully defended company against $1.2 billion claim that it was part of a group boycott conspiracy in violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act.
- Part of a multi-office team that defended one of the owners of the Deepwater Horizon well against billions of dollars in claims and in connection with government investigations.
- Oversaw an appeal filed on behalf of over 300 defendants, including many of the major industrial companies in the U.S., designed to restructure how asbestos litigation is conducted in New York City.
- Defending two foreign companies in connection with investigations and potential claims.
- Defended international paper manufacturer against claims of manipulation of world-wide prices of raw materials.
- Handled defense of pharmaceutical company in various FTC investigations concerning patent rights.
- Representing an adopted daughter in her claims to her mother’s $1.5 billion estate.
- Defending U.S. executors from claims that they acted in violation of law in connection with an estate that was probated overseas.
- Represented an industrial conglomerate in a $1.5 billion appeal to recover for asbestos liabilities under the company’s CGL insurance policy.
- Represented a financial institution in seeking coverage claims in connection with the importation of coffee under a marine insurance policy.
Professional Activities :
- Chair of Practising Law Institute programs on:
- Federal Pretrial Practice
- Ethics for Corporate Lawyers
- Chair of panels for Practising Law Institute programs on:
- Annual Institute on Securities Regulation
- Class Actions
- Co-Chaired programs at the Association of the Bar of the City of New York on various litigation and professional responsibility subjects.
- Served as board chair of nonprofit law firm MFY Legal Services Inc., member of its executive committee and co-chair of its strategic planning committee.
- A member of Pillsbury’s Sarbanes-Oxley Committee, Opinions Committee and Professional Responsibility Committee.
- Chaired the ad hoc committee of the Association that commented on proposed SEC regulations under Section 307 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002.
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1977
- B.A., Yale University, 1974
ADMISSIONS : New York
- Courts of the State of New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. Supreme Court
Rate : $$$