David C. Kirk is the only practicing attorney in Georgia who also is a fellow of the American Institute of Certified Planners, offering clients an unmatched combination of education, experience and acumen in a broad range of development and redevelopment matters.
David’s practice focuses on land use, zoning, permitting, annexation, telecommunications law, urban development and redevelopment, ethics, and other state and local regulatory matters.
David represents owners and developers of retail, residential, office, restaurant, industrial, and mixed-use projects; energy and telecommunications companies; community improvement districts; a leading hospital; private schools; charitable foundations; small businesses; and individuals before various planning bodies in the Atlanta region and throughout Georgia.
He has assisted wireless communication companies in obtaining local zoning and development approvals for hundreds of telecommunications facilities in Georgia, through both administrative proceedings and, when necessary, litigation.
David also works closely with the firm’s attorneys in the real estate section to assist clients in zoning and land-use due diligence efforts associated with the purchase, sale or redevelopment of property to ensure the current or contemplated use of the land complies with local regulations. He has represented clients in legislative matters before the Georgia General Assembly and in administrative matters before state and local agencies.
Prior to attending law school and beginning his legal career, David worked for 12 years in the land use and transportation planning divisions of the Atlanta Regional Commission.
This experience gives David a unique perspective on land use and zoning matters, as well as the ability to work effectively with local government staff, appointed officials and elected leaders toward favorable results.
David is committed to his community. He donates his legal skills and time to a wide variety of pro bono clients and nonprofit organizations involved in the education and mentoring of at-risk youth, the care of the mentally ill, and the arts. He has served on numerous local government task forces involved in planning, permitting and development issues.
Representative Matters :
- Provided land use and zoning counsel developer of largest corporate office project in metro Atlanta’s history throughout a complex and contentious rezoning process to obtain all necessary zoning approvals.
- Successfully obtained zoning approvals for the owner of a large suburban office park seeking to redevelop the property into a mixed-use project with several hundred residential units, 700,000 square feet of office, a 2-acre park, and associated retail uses.
- Served as redevelopment and land use counsel on the team that prepared plans and legislation creating the Atlanta BeltLine, a project recognized nationally and internationally for its transformative effect on Atlanta’s intown neighborhoods.
- Represented a major resort/residential developer in obtaining local zoning and Developments of Regional Impact approvals for a 600-acre mixed-use lakefront development.
- Provides ongoing representation of a national restaurant chain, the nation’s leading wireless carrier, national retailers, and a national automotive dealership in land use, zoning, and other entitlement matters in Georgia.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Faculty Member, Community Planning Academy, Atlanta Regional Commission (2001-present)
- Frequent guest lecturer at Georgia State University College of Law and Georgia Tech School of City and Regional Planning
- American Institute of Certified Planners
- American Planning Association – Georgia Chapter
- Corporate Leadership Council, Fernbank Museum of Natural History
Professional Experience : Atlanta Regional Commission
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1999
- Harvard University, M.C.R.P., 1982
- Duke University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1979
- Australian National University, Rotary International Foundation Scholar, 1983
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
Rate : $$$