David Kurtz is a construction litigator and shareholder in the Firm’s New Orleans office. Mr. Kurtz represents contractors, subcontractors, engineers, owners and others, and he has appeared before numerous state and federal courts, both at the trial and appellate levels, as well as before regulatory bodies.
His work has included extensive disaster-related litigation, delay claims, EPC contractor litigation, personal injury lawsuits arising from construction projects, and water intrusion cases.
Although his main focus is in the area of construction law, Mr. Kurtz also has experience in energy and other commercial litigation. He has served as a special master to the court in construction litigation and also has extensive experience with alternative dispute resolution forums such as arbitration and mediation.
Mr. Kurtz also holds a construction-related leadership position within the American Bar Association. As co-chair of the Construction Litigation Committee of the Section of Litigation, Mr. Kurtz helps more than 2,000 Committee members stay abreast of the latest developments in construction law.
- Duke University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina, J.D., 1995
- Tulane University, B.S., Mathematics, B.A., History, 1992, cum laude
ADMISSIONS : Louisiana, 1995
- Defended a soil stabilization contractor in a case involving an allegedly sinking shipyard; owner claimed more than $45 million in damages, and after a two-week trial, district court ruled in contractor’s favor and granted net award to contractor.
- Represented contractor in prosecuting multi-million dollar delay and cumulative impact claim arising from industrial construction project and defending against owner’s delay and lost profit claims; settled successfully.
- Represented local university in arbitration arising from the installation of a new chilled water facility. Successfully resolved during the hearing.
- Defending contractor in lawsuits arising from the administration of post-disaster relief programs; some of these cases have been dismissed.
- Defended contractor in several lawsuits arising from FEMA’s failure to reimburse the City of New Orleans for disaster relief work performed by our client. The cases were dismissed or resolved favorably.
- Successfully settled multi-million dollar litigation suit for a local university against allegations of water intrusion in a dormitory.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – Louisiana State Bar Association
- Member – Federal Bar Association
- Member – American Bar Association
- Treasurer – The Green Project (a non-profit organization dedicated to the recycling of building materials and environmental education), New Orleans, Louisiana
Rate : $$$$