David H. Levitt is an experienced trial lawyer who focuses his practice in a number of distinct areas. His primary practice is intellectual property, with wide experience in insurance, commercial litigation, products liability and trucking.
Mr. Levitt’s intellectual property practice has included litigation and licensing issues in the areas of trademark, copyright, patent and computer law. He is a past leader of Hinshaw’s national Intellectual Property practice group.
In the insurance coverage area, his work has been diverse, spanning the range from “simple” personal lines coverage disputes to complex coverage litigation involving environmental and bankrupt health care providers.
Mr. Levitt’s product liability experience includes both chemical and machine related claims, both in the industrial and consumer contexts. This experience helps him to translate scientific issues for lay juries and judges, a significant advantage both for intellectual property and product liability work.
Mr. Levitt also has a trucking practice, having represented several trucking companies in serious cases involving a number of jurisdictions, and he is experienced in the unique litigation needs of such organizations. He was a founding member of the Trucking Industry Defense Association (“TIDA”), and co-chaired its first seminar in 1993.
Mr. Levitt joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in September 1979. In the Fall of 2005, Mr. Levitt completed intensive training in mediation from the faculty of Pepperdine University School of Law’s top-ranked Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, and is a Certified Mediator in the Cook County Court-Annexed Major Case Civil Mediation Program.
Professional Affiliations :
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (IDC)
- President, 2014 – 2015
- Officer and Board Member, 2003 – 2014
- American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Committee, Member
- Product Liability Committee, Member
- Litigation Section, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- LL.M. in Intellectual Property, with honors, The John Marshall Law School, 2000
- J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1979
- B.A., with distinction, University of Illinois, 1976
Admissions : Illinois, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Rate : $$$