David G. Luettgen, a partner and intellectual property lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP, offers more than 20 years of experience as a patent attorney with a particular focus in software and business method patents.Mr. Luettgen represents clients in a variety of industries, including enterprise software, mortgage finance, banking, and insurance.
He also represents clients who specialize in offering services and applications to customers via consumer- and business-facing Web sites. Mr. Luettgen’s other technical skill areas include control systems, imaging systems, communication systems, industrial automation, and vehicle electronics.
His practice is dedicated to counseling clients with regard to IP protection strategies, including representing clients pursuing patent protection at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
In addition, Mr. Luettgen’s legal experience includes infringement risk assessment and avoidance, intellectual property agreement negotiation and counseling, merger and acquisition due diligence, and other intellectual property counseling.
- Devising a comprehensive risk assessment mapping 750 competitor patents against product landscape for large financial services company
- Rapidly developing a comprehensive IP portfolio covering newly developed technology (25 patent filings in three months) for large financial services company
- Responsibility for IP due diligence in connection with acquisition of $250 million company
- Providing strategic advice on development and management of patent portfolio for startup software as a service company, leading to favorable acquisition
- Successfully prosecuting over 100 business method patents
Mr. Luettgen graduated from the University of Texas School of Law (J.D., with honors, 1995) and Purdue University (B.S., electrical engineering, 1991). He served as the managing editor of the Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal.
Admissions and Professional Memberships :
Mr. Luettgen is admitted to practice in Wisconsin and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and is a member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association, and the American Intellectual Property Law Association.
Rate : $$$$