David Rievman, Global Head of Skadden’s Regulatory Practices, advises U.S. and international clients with respect to the tax aspects of complex transactions, including U.S. and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, financings, divestitures (including spin-offs), financial restructurings and recapitalizations, joint ventures and other business transactions.
Mr. Rievman represents public corporations, privately held businesses, investment banks, and private equity and other sponsor entities. Significant representations include:
- Activision Blizzard, Inc., a publisher of video games, in its $8.2 billion separation from Vivendi S.A. (France), a telecommunications and media company, into an independent public company;
- Bentley Pharmaceuticals in its spin-off of CPEX, Inc. and in the $360 million sale of Bentley to Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.;
- Chiquita Brands International in its proposed cross-border business combination transaction with Fyffes plc and its unsolicited, but subsequently agreed upon, $1.3 billion merger with an affiliate of the Cutrale-Safra group;
- Express Scripts, Inc. in its $4.7 billion acquisition of WellPoint, Inc.’s NextRx subsidiaries; and $29.1 billion acquisition of Medco Health Solutions, Inc., which was named “Corporate Deal of the Year” by mergermarket at the Americas’ M&A Awards 2011;
- Gardner Denver, Inc., a manufacturer of industrial equipment, in its $3.9 billion acquisition by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co., a private equity firm;
- Hillshire Brands Company (formerly Sara Lee Corporation) in connection with the $11 billion spin-off and redomiciliation in the Netherlands of its international coffee and tea business;
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International in several transactions, including its $3.5 billion merger with Biovail Corporation; and $8.7 billion acquisition of Bausch & Lomb Inc.;
Mr. Rievman has served on the executive committee of the New York State Bar Association Tax Section and frequently writes and lectures on tax-related topics, including in programs sponsored by the New York State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the New York University Institute on Federal Taxation, the University of Chicago Law School’s Federal Tax Conference, the Practising Law Institute, the Tax Executives Institute and other organizations.
- J.D., Boston College Law School, 1987 (magna cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- B.A., Case Western Reserve University, 1984 (magna cum laude)
- New York
Rate : $$$