David C. Mancini is a Partner in the Construction section at Troutman Sanders LLP. While David has over 30 years of experience handling a variety of contract matters and disputes, his primary fields of emphasis are construction, engineering, government contracts and aerospace.
As the need for his services often arises during troubled projects, David frequently steps in to work closely with client project teams to understand, assess and respond to issues during performance. These efforts typically help to resolve disputes without the need for litigation.
When litigation is unavoidable, David serves as lead counsel in federal and state courts and arbitration hearings across the United States, as well in international dispute venues. He has prepared and presented over 100 such matters.
His extensive experience in resolving disputes, large and small, also includes mediation, mini-trials and other alternative-dispute resolution techniques. David also assists clients in contract drafting and negotiations, planning, risk assessments and allocations, business strategy and training.
David has been regularly recognized for his excellent client service in Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America, Law360 and Super Lawyers as an outstanding attorney.
He was also an integral member of law firm practice groups recognized in the exclusive Chambers USA Award for Excellence in Construction, including groups that won top honors in 2008, 2010 and 2012, and similar recognitions for excellence in Legal 500 and Law360 for superior experience and client service.
In today’s business world, there are increasingly large and complex projects that often include complicated technical designs, intense schedules and numerous project participants.
Alternative project delivery systems are increasingly common in many market sectors. David is a leader in understanding these projects and represents clients on all sides, including the assessment and presentation of insurance claims.
David’s government contract representations include affirmative claims on behalf of contractors for changes, delays, disruption and acceleration, as well as the prosecution and defense of terminations for default and convenience.
When issues arise that potentially implicate wrongdoing under the False Claims Act, David has experience in leading investigations, often with specialized consultants, so he can provide the client with the best possible advice and recommendations.
Besides being a successful attorney, David is a legal educator, with a business background in finance, who offers his clients a variety of in-house educational training programs tailored to the client’s specific business needs.
This includes informative programs on topics such as contract drafting, change management, government contracts, False Claims Act and claims certification, design-build, insurance recovery, claims pricing, scheduling, arbitration and mediation, privilege and confidentiality and electronic discovery.
Experience is great to have, and David has plenty of that. While most new attorneys have a period of gradual and increasing on-the-job legal training, David’s practice began by taking a deposition on his first day after being admitted to the bar, followed by a one-week federal court trial two months later.
He hasn’t slowed down since. David has built upon those initial hands-on experiences of always being ready for any challenge into a storied career filled with a depth of experience, satisfied clients and numerous professional recognitions for his legal excellence.
Representative Matters :
- David’s project experience encompasses a broad range of market sectors including: power generation, industrial and process facilities, government infrastructure projects, and a wide variety of large commercial developments.
- Specific projects include: co-generation plants, solar, LNG, hydroelectric, corporate headquarters facilities, high-rise residential buildings, educational facilities, security and surveillance systems, satellite and communications deliverables, military bases, mixed-use commercial projects, bridges and highways, locks and dams, hospitals and more.
- Geographically, David has represented clients and worked on projects that cover the United States from coast-to-coast and internationally. He has worked on projects and for clients located in Japan, Korea, Australia, Malaysia, China, several South and Central American countries, the Middle East, United Kingdom, Russia, Kazakhstan and elsewhere.
- David assists government contracting clients with compliance, investigations, disclosures and the defense of claims under the False Claims Act.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- American Bar Association
- Construction Lawyers Society of America (2017-present)
- International Law Institute, Lecturer
- Thomas More Society
- Washington Building Congress
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1984
- University of Maryland, B.S., 1981
BAR ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia, Maryland, Texas
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Rate : $$$$