David S. Nelson concentrates on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and debt financings, and venture capital transactions. He also advises public and private emerging growth companies with respect to a range of corporate activities, including corporate finance, securities law compliance, contracts, and corporate governance.
A significant portion of David’s practice centers on startups and emerging companies. His understanding of what it takes to turn an idea into a company enables David to guide his clients through that transition.
David advises clients in connection with a full range of issues that arise during the startup phase of an organization, such as formalizing relationships among the entity’s founders, drafting key organizational documents and contracts, and protecting the company’s assets.
David’s first-hand experience working for a startup company lends him an insider’s appreciation of the importance of protecting the ideas that form a new company’s nucleus. He provides the analysis and advice necessary to help clients strike a balance between the need for such protection and the high costs often associated with securing it.
He also has years of experience with financings and venture capital transactions. His experience representing both venture capitalists and entrepreneurs seeking investors informs each deal David handles and gives him a unique, 360-degree perspective.
He is particularly sensitive to the marketing side of financing and helps his emerging business clients position themselves for optimal success in this regard, including initiating contact with potential investors. Conversely, he is adept at working from the venture capitalist’s side of the table to ensure that the client’s investment is sound.
David earned his undergraduate degree from Haverford College, his Master of Business Administration from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, and his law degree from the University of Chicago Law School.
- Represented Beachbody, LLC, a leading marketer of health and fitness programs and products (i.e., P90X, Insanity), in the growth capital investment by LNK Partners.
- Represented NewSpring Capital in connection with its $15 million Series E preferred stock Investment in IfByPhone, Inc. (d/b/a Dialogtech), a provider of a voice-based marketing automation platform, to fund IfByPhone’s acquisition of Mongoose Metrics, a provider of call tracking, measurement, and attribution software solutions.
- Represented Biomeme, Inc., developer of a patented, real-time PCR thermocycler device for gold-standard DNA analysis utilizing a smartphone, in connection with raising over $2 million in seed funding and related organizational, intellectual property, and co-development agreements.
- Represented Cloudamize, a provider of cloud-based resource optimization solutions, in obtaining over $2 million in seed funding from investors lead by MissionOG, a local early-stage venture capital firm.
- Sponsor of the DreamIt Ventures technology and health care start-up accelerator programs, offering counsel and advice to more than 30 early-stage companies in the last five years.
- Represented Anexinet Corp., a leading systems integration and technology management firm, in its recapitalization agreement with Marlin Management Company, LLC.
- Represented a state-of-the-art bourbon distillery as the issuer in a significant Series A financing transaction.
- Represented Sidecar Interactive, Inc., a provider of e-commerce marketing technology, in obtaining $8 million in Series B funding in an investment round led by Ascent Venture Partners.
- Represented NewSpring Capital as lead investor in a round of $10 million in the Series C preferred stock of FirstBest Systems, Inc., a provider of insurance software solutions for global property and casualty insurers.
- Represented NewSpring Capital in connection with its $10 million Series E preferred stock investment in Innovid, a video technology platform provider. NewSpring was the lead investor in this financing round of $15 million.
- Represented a media company in connection with the sale of television station assets to one of the largest television station owners in the United States.
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2000
- University of Chicago, M.B.A., 1997
- Haverford College, B.A., 1992
BAR ADMISSIONS : Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$