David Pi litigates in state and federal courts, as well as in arbitrations, with a significant focus on insurance and reinsurance coverage disputes. More generally, his experience includes complex commercial litigation and counseling involving business torts and contract disputes for both plaintiffs and defendants.
Recognizing that each client faces unique business and legal challenges, David is committed to working with his clients to find creative solutions to meet their needs. He has a thoughtful and energetic approach to legal practice that has led to successful, efficient results for his clients.
David is committed to pro bono legal work and volunteering in the community. Before entering law school, he was a Peace Corps volunteer in Romania.
- Obtained partial summary judgment for Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, establishing that a co-insurer’s policies with self-insured retentions should be considered primary coverage for purposes of horizontal exhaustion under Illinois law; obtained affirmance of the ruling on appeal in the First District, Illinois Court of Appeals. Lamorak Insurance Co. v. KONE Inc. et al., 2018 IL App (1st) 163398.
- Briefed successful motion to dismiss a claim of tortious interference against American United Life Insurance Company in a dispute related to general agents that terminated their agreements with Plaintiff. Penn Mutual Life Insurance Co. v. Rotter, No. 17 C 3562, 2018 WL 1453554 (N.D. Ill. March 23, 2018).
- Briefed a successful partial summary judgment motion with respect to a choice-of-law question in an insurance contract that resulted in significantly reduced liability for the client.
- Briefed multiple successful oppositions to motions for temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions in complex commercial cases.
- Successfully represented American United Life Insurance Company in its petition to compel general arbitration in lieu of a panel of actuaries. American United Life Ins. Co. v. The Travelers Indemnity Co. et al., 3:14cv1339 (D. Conn. Aug. 18, 2015).
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2013
- University of Chicago, B.A., 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS)
- Korean American Bar Association
Rate : $$$