David C. Powell focuses his practice on complex commercial and financial services litigation in state and federal courts. He is the firm’s Office Managing Partner in San Francisco. David has significant experience assisting clients across a broad range of service areas including securities, wealth management, trusts, consumer finance, insurance, mortgages, banking operations, real estate, creditor’s rights, lender liability, negotiable instruments, secured transactions and all manner of business disputes.
David has extensive experience in class action litigation and unfair competition claims. David is an active participant in community affairs; he lectures often and participates in various charitable and civic organizations.
- Representation of an investment bank in allegations of failure to perform adequate due diligence of acquisition target.
- Representation of a major national bank in several class and individual actions concerning the sale of auction rate securities.
- Procured summary judgment in a landmark ruling establishing the limits of a bank’s liability to others for activities undertaken to protect the interests of the bank.
- Represented bank in a class action concerning alleged failure to credit interest on loss payee funds received from insurers.
- Represented client in class action alleging failure to give proper notice prior to foreclosing on personal property collateral.
- Represented client in significant ERISA plan class action involving allegedly improper insurance products.
- Represented investment manager in $150 million claim of purchasing unsuitable investments.
- Represented lender in class action alleging statutory violation of fees and costs associated with loans.
- University of California Hastings College of the Law, JD, Note Editor, Hastings Law Journal; Order of the Coif, 1987
- University of California Davis, BA, Economics
- All State Courts – California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
Affiliations : Member, San Francisco Bar Association
Rate : $$$