David Standa’s practice consists of business and consumer finance litigation as well as corporate, securities and regulatory assistance, food and beverage compliance and litigation, and health care litigation.
David’s recent litigation and arbitration cases have included various individual and class action lawsuits concerning claims under the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), as well as claims for fraud, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
David also represents banks and other institutions in commercial and industrial foreclosures, replevin actions, and injunction proceedings to recover outstanding collateral. David’s experience includes handling asset-based and real estate loan workouts, negotiating forbearance agreements, restructuring loans, and liquidating collateral, including sales pursuant to the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC).
David is also engaged in litigation and arbitration involving health insurance reimbursement disputes. David has represented insurers and hospital systems in cases involving insurance and health care disputes and arbitrations, and include complex issues surrounding the business of insurance, insurance regulatory matters, Medicare/Medicaid disputes and False Claims Act litigation.
David’s recent transactional experience consists of advising a national health insurance provider on a series of joint ventures with regional hospital systems involving the creation of new insurance networks, and providing regulatory guidance about potential statutory exposure to an insurance holding company.
David is also a member of the Firm’s Food & Beverage Industry Group. He has defended several spirits-industry clients in class actions alleging deceptive labeling and marketing practices. He has also assisted spirits-industry clients with compliance in the development of product labels.
Before joining Locke Lord, David was a judicial extern for the Honorable Judge John R. Tunheim for the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota.
Representative Experience :
- Represented international medical insurance association in action asserting claims under the False Claims Act for bribery and kickback scheme involving medical device manufacturers
- Represented a whiskey manufacturer in a class action involving allegations of deceptive marketing practices based on information contained on the products label
- Advising clients on developing vigorous TCPA compliance programs for direct marketing, marketing through independent agents, and lead vendors
- Represented captive insurance corporation in trade secret litigation over the improper use of its proprietary tax planning services
- Representing multiple mortgage servicers in actions alleging FDCPA and FCRA violations based on credit reporting taking place after the borrower surrendered the property in bankruptcy and received a bankruptcy discharge
- Represented a commercial landlord in a dispute with a chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee over the trustee’s right to postpone his obligation to accept or reject the debtor’s lease
- Representing institutions in TCPA class actions alleging that defendants skip trace cell phone numbers and then call the numbers with an auto-dialer without obtaining consent
- Represented multiple mortgage servicers in actions involving the Illinois Appellate Court’s decision in First Mortgage Company v. Dina, 2014 IL App (2d) 130567
- Represented consumer products manufacturer in AAA arbitration based on the unmerchantability of products and purported violations of the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act
- Represented mortgage servicer in putative class action alleging violation of the FDCPA based on allegedly fraudulent activity in an underlying foreclosure action
- Represented loan servicers in connection with litigation involving HAMP and loan modification disputes
- Associate, Locke Lord LLP
- Associate, Chapman and Cutler LLP
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, American Bar Association
Community Leadership :
- Volunteer, Chicago Volunteer Legal Services
- J.D., cum laude, University of Notre Dame Law School, 2009
- B.S., Finance, Indiana University, 2004
Admissions : Illinois
Rate : $$$