When David P. Strup takes on a case, his clients reap the benefits of his hands-on, in-depth approach, considerable knowledge, and his ability to be aggressive when necessary. He is highly experienced in the area of general civil litigation where he focuses his practice on national coordination and management of asbestos litigation for the aerospace and hydraulic groups of a Fortune 500 Company, general commercial and construction contract litigation, intellectual property litigation, insurance coverage for policyholders, toxic tort defense, and Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) defense.
Building a strong team is the foundation of David’s litigation management style. He covers all aspects of individual lawsuits, including:
- Exposure assessments
- Development and implementation of trial strategies
- Case-specific product investigations
- Expert and corporate witness identification and preparation
David’s National Counsel role also includes periodic assessment of defense counsel network, addressing fee and billing issues, participation in companywide national council meetings, and preparation and conduct of defense counsel programs designed to convey acquired product knowledge and further develop defense strategies. In his role, David has amassed an extensive library of historical corporate and product-related literature used to assist in his defense efforts.
Corporate clients also turn to David to serve as lead counsel in a broad range of complex disputes, including:
- Defense and prosecution of commercial matters
- Shareholder actions
- Construction-related claims
- Breach of contract actions
Additionally, he serves as lead trial counsel in plaintiffs’ personal injury and wrongful death actions and lead defense counsel for credit reporting bureaus and debt collection agencies in individual and class action lawsuits.
In addition to practicing law, David’s general desire for competition has driven him to a variety of sporting pursuits over the years, from basketball leagues, squash, hunting, fishing, playing golf, and sailing to, more recently, tennis.
He has served on several community-oriented boards, including charter member (and chair) of the Toledo Zoo Foundation, local chapter of Notre Dame Club (past president and long-time chair of major fundraising events), church foundation (past chair), Rotary (past president), as well as his ongoing involvement in other charitable and service groups.
- J.D., The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, 1986
- B.B.A., cum laude, Accounting, University of Notre Dame, 1983
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Ohio, 1986
- United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court Eastern District of Michigan
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Toledo Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Notre Dame Club of Toledo, Past Chair – Celebrity Golf Classic
- Sylvania Country Club, Past President
- Toledo Zoological Society Foundation, Past Chair
Rate : $$$$