David S. Szabo is Co-Chair of the Health Care practice, a Partner in the Corporate and Transactional Department, and a member of the Privacy group. He represents hospitals, integrated delivery systems, physician organizations, home care companies, and other healthcare service providers. He also represents healthcare information technology companies and health plans.
David has extensive experience in healthcare licensing and regulation, reimbursement, fraud and abuse compliance matters, and the structuring of joint ventures. He regularly advises clients on Stark Law and Anti-Kickback compliance matters. His practice also includes the privacy and information security law applicable to healthcare providers, health plans, technology vendors, and other organizations. He advises non-profit organizations on general corporate matters, tax, and governance issues.
David’s practice includes significant engagements in the implementation of health information technology and shared electronic health record systems, compliance with privacy and information security regulations, and response to data breaches and cyber-security events. His breach response experience includes negotiation with regulatory agencies, breach remediation, and crisis management.
David started his legal career in a boutique law firm specializing in health care reimbursement and regulation. He subsequently developed his health law practice at a national law firm and a regional firm in Boston.
He has served on the board of the Massachusetts-Rhode Island Chapter of the Healthcare Financial Management Association and is currently the Chairman of the Board of the Massachusetts Health Data Consortium.
Representative Experience :
- Organized the first regional healthcare information exchange organization in Massachusetts, and helped it complete a merger to create a comprehensive health information exchange organization that serves the leading hospitals, health plans and medical groups in Massachusetts.
- Assisted a leading healthcare system with key acquisitions of four hospitals and three ambulatory surgery centers.
- Represented a number of health care providers in data breach investigations before the Office of Civil Rights and state attorneys general.
- Led an effort to organize a tax exempt organization dedicated to improving the health of a community though the use of health information technology.
- Advises hospital and their affiliated group practices on a wide variety of regulatory and corporate issues, including Stark law compliance. This includes the review of physician compensation plans, physician recruitment arrangements, and medical practice acquisitions.
- Oversaw the merger of two charities dedicated to promoting cancer research, to create a nationwide foundation dedicated to cancer research, advocacy and patient services.
- Regularly advises public charities on governance matters and has appeared before the Division of Public Charities of the Massachusetts Attorney General’s office.
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Member, Health Information and Management Systems Society
- J.D., Boston University School of Law
- B.A., cum laude, University of Rochester
Admissions : Massachusetts; New York
Rate : $$$