Dawn Shawger McCord represents companies in state and federal courts throughout the country in high-stakes mass tort, class action and multi-district litigation, with an emphasis in the areas of pharmaceutical and medical device litigation, products liability litigation, and catastrophic injury and wrongful death.
Her experience also extends to construction and complex commercial and business litigation matters. She has defended clients in arbitration and trials in Texas, California, the District of Columbia, Oregon and Pennsylvania.
Dawn has extensive experience in fact development and the ability to simplify and persuasively convey complicated concepts to mediators, juries and clients through engaging trial themes and creative technology.
Dawn represents large pharmaceutical, medical device, and food manufacturers, frequently handling complex litigation and serving as national, regional and local counsel in mass tort litigation, including cases involving hormone replacement therapy, blood thinning and antiplatelet drugs, transdermal pain patches, food and dietary supplements, vaginal mesh, spinal cord stimulators and aesthetic lasers.
Dawn also represents clients in a broad array of business disputes. She has assertively handled commercial cases arising under federal and state statutes, as well as matters involving general principles of contract and business law.
Her experience includes construction-related litigation, contract disputes involving breach of warranty, defective products and failure to perform, business tort claims involving fraud, deceptive trade practices, breach of fiduciary duty and good faith, and tortious interference, securities litigation and SEC investigations.
In addition, Dawn has represented many companies defending against potential classes seeking damages for personal injuries, business and economic loss and statutory damage claims.
- Vigorous defense of a medical device manufacturer in multi-district and state mass tort litigation involving vaginal mesh, including active participation in trials on trial team and extensive work with scientific and medical experts.
- Successfully defended a biopharmaceutical company in wrongful death actions in transdermal pain patch litigation in multiple federal and state jurisdictions.
- Attained dismissal following filing of a motion for summary judgment based on federal preemption of a product liability suit involving a spinal cord stimulator and injuries including paraplegia.
- Favorable resolution on behalf of manufacturer of weight loss supplements and food products in case involving anaphylaxis.
- Advantageous resolution of a leading global aesthetic device company in case involving an aesthetic laser and alleged burn injuries.
- Negotiated and obtained a de minimus class action settlement of a putative class action in the Nevada District Court brought by potential employees of a major medical facility alleging claims under the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
- Defeated class action certification in Louisiana for a national long-term acute health care company in a medical negligent, personal injury and wrongful death action filed in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order on behalf of a Fortune 500 company against the Texas Attorney General in a pending declaratory judgment and injunctive relief action arising from the request for confidential and proprietary information under the Texas Public Information Act.
- Obtained dismissal of securities fraud class action alleging claims for violations of the Texas Securities Act, fraud and civil conspiracy against an accounting firm in connection with the independent audit of a Texas financial institution.
- Arbitrated a professional negligence matter in Washington, D.C. and obtained a favorable arbitration ruling in action involving the architectural design and construction of multi-million dollar estate and museum.
- Participated in the trial of a construction defect case involving a roof collapse of a Honda facility in Oregon that resulted in a favorable defense outcome for the client.
- Assisted in the trial of a multimillion dollar breach of contract case in Pennsylvania involving the design of a public wastewater pre-treatment plant that was resolved during trial favorably to the engineering client.
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., 1997, magna cum laude,Order of the Coif, Texas Law Review- Articles Editor, The Board of Barristers
- Texas A&M University, B.A., 1991
Bar Admissions : Texas
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
Rate : $$$$