Debra L. Stetter serves as a trusted advisor to her clients, providing a practical and down-to-earth approach to tackling estate and tax planning. Effective estate planning balances clients’ personal and tax objectives with their tolerance for complexity. Debra’s more than twenty years of professional experience and innate sensitivity to the personal circumstances and goals of individuals and families allow Debra to help her clients find the balance that is right for them.
Extended families that coordinate their investments, businesses and charitable activities have additional needs. Their private companies, family offices, and multi-generational trusts require a wide variety of legal support. Debra partners with the family’s other advisers to make sure their needs are met. She works closely with individual family members to address their unique requirements and with each generation to address global family issues.
Debra’s diverse client base encompasses individuals and families of all wealth levels and personal circumstances. This breadth of experience gives her tremendous insight and perspective into her clients’ options as well as their goals, and enables Debra to tailor legal solutions that fit – both this generation and the next.
- Prepared estate plans for numerous clients of all wealth levels to better achieve their personal and family goals, including maximizing the wealth passing to beneficiaries, encouraging beneficiaries to become self-sufficient, protecting disabled beneficiaries, and providing flexibility for fiduciaries and beneficiaries to address changes in both law and circumstance.
- Counseled multi-generational and extended families and their family offices on estate, business succession and charitable planning techniques to allow wealth and family philosophy to be passed down to future generations.
- Implemented lifetime gift strategies for extended families to transfer the ownership of their privately owned companies to generation-skipping tax exempt trusts without incurring gift tax.
- Implemented charitable remainder trusts for family members that allowed for sales of otherwise restricted stock, the deferral of income taxes, and the creation of an annuity stream for the life of the donors; obtained favorable private ruling from the IRS to allow the charitable remainder trusts to invest in family mutual funds.
- Updated the terms applying to irrevocable trusts to better suit circumstances through the use of decanting, merger and distribution strategies.
- Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, J.D., 1992
- University of Chicago Booth School of Business, M.B.A., 1987
- Bryn Mawr College, B.A., 1984
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), Fellow
CIVIC AND CHARITABLE MEMBERSHIPS:
- Debra is the Deputy Practice Group Leader for the Private Clients, Trusts & Estates Group and serves on Schiff Hardin’s Professional Practice Committee and Diversity Committee. She has been a member of the Board of Directors of the Public Interest Law Initiative since 2009.
Rate : $$$