Demetrios (Jim) Batsides is a seasoned trial attorney and litigator with a practice focusing on the defense and counseling of healthcare companies, clinical and genetics laboratories, pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, medical and laboratory professionals, and product distributors, retailers and manufacturers.
He has successfully represented such clients in trials and appeals venued in state and federal courts in various jurisdictions. Mr. Batsides has extensive experience in cases involving complex liability and medical causation issues and has represented clients in a wide variety of cases involving claims for significant personal injuries and economic damages from catastrophic neurological injury, wrongful death, wrongful birth, loss of fertility, toxic exposure and failure to diagnose cancer.
He also routinely counsels healthcare clients and product manufacturers on risk management best practices and regulatory compliance issues. Mr. Batsides serves on a trial team representing an international medical device and biologics manufacturer in nationwide state and federal court litigation involving hip implant systems.
He also serves as regional trial and defense counsel for a major international clinical laboratory and is a member of its national Pap smear and HPV testing litigation team.
Mr. Batsides has also represented numerous clients in significant commercial disputes and litigation involving breach of contract claims. He represented a major international biotechnical firm in defense against potential debarment by U.S. Army resulting in a determination by the Suspension and Debarment Official to terminate the potential debarment and remove the client from the “SAMS” list in less than two months.
- Representation of an international life sciences company in the defense of breach of contract litigation instituted by a third party involving the development of a biological warfare vaccine for the US Army.
- Representation of an international medical device and biologics manufacturer in nationwide state and federal court litigation involving hip implant systems.
- Represented a major international life sciences company in connection with a U.S. Army potential debarment proceeding, resulting in a determination by the Suspension and Debarment Official to terminate the potential debarment and remove the client from the “SAMS” list in less than two months.
- Successfully argued an appeal in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, which affirmed early dismissal of plaintiff’s federal discrimination and negligence claims relating to a positive drug screening result.
- Successfully argued an appeal in the New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, First Department, which affirmed early dismissal of plaintiff’s negligence claims relating to a mandatory drug screening result.
- Obtained a defense verdict at trial in a case involving claims of negligent forensic toxicology testing in the workplace resulting in significant economic losses.
- Represented a major international technology and manufacturing company in a toxic exposure case, involving claims of severe orthopedic and neurological impairment.
- Defended a major national chemical company in a premises liability and product liability matter, involving claims of significant orthopedic injuries and permanent disability.
- Represented numerous physicians as personal counsel in medical malpractice matters where potential settlement and verdict exposure exceeded professional liability insurance limits.
- New Jersey
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Trial Attorneys of New Jersey
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- The Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- New York State Bar Association
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Rate : $$$